cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

software tool for offline stack configuration and design

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

Do any of the Cisco tools support the designing and/or architecturing (if that is a word) of a switch stack without having access to the actual stack?  What I want to do is to build and configure my stack on the computer and then be able to generate a config file that I can later download into the actual stack.  Should be available, no?  Thanks

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The services and features are driven by hardware which are very hard and time consuming to emulate in software.

We don't have such tool at this moment.

Thanks Edison.

So what about after I have the stack up and running with a basic config?  What would be the best tool to use to manage/configure VLANs, port channel groups, trunking and so on?

Thanks,

Diego

You can look into the Cisco Prime line of products, I personally use the command line interface.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know if this is what you are looking for:  How to use Zero-Touch SmartInstall

Looks like a nifty tool but not quite what I had in mind.  I was visualizing a Visio type thing where I could drap and drop different switch models on a window.  Then interconnect them and create VLANs, assign ports and all that.

I guess I can use the command line like Edison suggest.  However most important to me was having some type of visual legend or map to the switch configuration.  For example, lets say I have a stack consisting of around 200 copper ports and a few dozen fiber ports which consists of 5-6 switches.  Furthermore, let's say I have about a dozen VLANs configured.

Its all up and running but I need to troubleshoot something or connect a new node.  If I had some kind of visual guide I could quickly see which ports are assigned to which VLANs and I could see how the free ports are configured and so on.  This would be a lot easier than standing there in front of the stack with a 40 page config file printout.  Also would help second tier techs that aren't as familiar with the stack configuration.

I guess I could just draw up something with Visio but it would not be linked to the actual configuration.  If I made a changes to the stack I would then have to update the Visio.  What about Configuration/Network Assistant or CiscoWorks?  Would something like this give me the visual representation I am looking for?

Thanks,

Diego

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card