Views
Helpful
Replies

some PC can't request DHCP from server after I put them on VLAN

Ammar Ramadhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am using Cisco Packet Tracer for about 4 months. Im using it to study about computer networking. yesterday, i tried to make a network topology with :
1 server as DHCP server

2 switches for each network

2 routers, these will be used for frame-relay

1 wireless router

2 clouds, for frame-relay

10 PCs (6 of it on one network, 4 of it on another network)

4 laptops with wireless module so they can connect to wireless router.

Today i tried to make 2 PC on network A and 2 PC on network B as one VLAN. The problem is, after i made the VLAN, the DHCP failed to request to the server. I marked the VLAN with cyan color. lets say the network on the left is network A with IP 192.168.29.0. any computer outside the VLAN can request DHCP to the server. and on the right is network B with IP 192.168.31.0. same like network A, any computer outside the VLAN can request DHCP to the server with ip helper-address. i made the frame-relay on both cloud, but only one is working (the top one).

Untitled.png

I have so many questions about this. the questions are :

1. how to configure the VLAN (i marked with cyan) so the PCs in it can request IP address from server?

2. somehow i cant ping from network A to network B, and i cant figure it out. im using RIP routing.

3. about the wireless network. i cant make it because i dont know where to start. my friend only said that i must connect it to router1 using copper cross-over, but i dont know what next.

i attach the work i made. thanks for the help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

there were numerous issues with your network, the most important being that the switchport where the DHCP server is connected to was configured for the default Vlan 1 (it needs to be in Vlan 29).

There were also some RIP routes missing. You only need the IP helper address on the LAN subinterface of the right side router.

Attached the revised, working file.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

there were numerous issues with your network, the most important being that the switchport where the DHCP server is connected to was configured for the default Vlan 1 (it needs to be in Vlan 29).

There were also some RIP routes missing. You only need the IP helper address on the LAN subinterface of the right side router.

Attached the revised, working file.

Ammar Ramadhan
Level 1
Level 1

@Georg Pauwen i see, your revision about my file is very amazing. you fixed the issues im facing now.

but what i actually want is, the PC outside VLAN also can request DHCP from Server. I'm gonna use your revision as example. you made the PCs (example : PC4 in VLAN on network 192.168.29.0) in VLAN can request DHCP IP from Server, and it works on both network (192.168.29.0 and 192.168.31.0). But the PCs (example : PC0 on network 192.168.29.0) outside VLAN cannot request DHCP IP from server because the Server already "dedicated" to VLAN.

in summary, what i want is, all PCs in a network can have same network IP using DHCP pool, no matter they are in VLAN or not

edit : also, i  found that all PCs outside VLAN cant ping across network

Hello,

the reason these PCs cannot get DHCP is because they are not part of Vlan 29, and there is no other LAN IP address available than that of the Vlan 29 subinterface. I do not see anything in the instructions saying what IP addressing you are supposed to use ?

I forgot to add it into notes because i assume you already know that all PC in left network must have same network IP like 192.168.29.3, 192.168.29.4 and so on, and for all PC in right network like 192.168.31.3 and so on. what i mean is, all network IPs are fixed to 192.168.29.x (for left network), 192.168.31.x (for right network) and 192.168.30.x (for wireless network, i have not made this because its too confusing), not randomized using APIPA

well, if there is no way to have the same network IP regardless VLAN restriction then no problem. at first, i thought this is impossible because im using layer 2 switch and from what i searched in google about this, its nearly impossible to have multiple VLAN that can request DHCP from the same Server

Hello,

in your current setup, the attached file is the only solution I see...

thank you, much appreciate. any help is needed and your help is very useful for me

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card