cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

some ports in cisco4510 is not working

Srin_G
Level 3
Level 3

This has been happening repeatedly time to time! we just replace the part! But now it has come to trouble us again.It happening only in one module like 6 to 10 ports wont work. Did someone experience the same problem and had a solution?! Any suggestions are really appreciated.

we run  IOS cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.02.00.SG.150-2.SG.bin will there be any bug in it?

regards                 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yeah it is different but the end result was the same Port does not work.

Unfortunately the shut/no shut did not work for us whilst running on 3.2.4SG. As you noticed shut/no shut didn't work either when we were on 3.2.0SG.

I've you've got PoE blades, maybe you should install 3.2.3SG and then you'll know everything will be fine.

Goodluck!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

most probably this seems to be an hardware issue..... have you tried resetting the slot.....

the below is the release notes for the same IOS version... but i don see any such bugs with the IOS...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_24728.html

yeah mate i reset the module it worked for a while and then dead. I read the release notes too cudnt find a bug. The bloke from IBM from whom we buy the hardware told he had similar issues with other customers too. I logged a TAC case and lets see they say!

cheers

Hmmm... okay.... it depends on the module slots as well which you have used... i mean the line cards.... even those have sme restrictions.... let them give some solutions..... if you get that resolved pls let me know what was the solution... Thanks

CSCts67025

Symptom:

One or more line cards

stop responding to interface changes and ports remain
down/down (notconnect)

when connected to hosts. Interfaces that are already in

the link-up state are not affected.

Conditions:

The problem only affects

WS-X45-SUP7-E

supervisors running 03.01.00.SG,

03.01.01.SG,

03.02.00.SG

or 03.02.01.SG.

The line cards that can be affected are in the WS-X46xx series and the

WS-X47xx

series. Earlier line cards are not affected.

Workaround:

Upgrade to 3.2.4SG (3.2.2SG and higher has the fix).

we have to upgrade and see whether its true or not!

cheers

The above is correct except that when you upgrade to 3.2.4SG, you may experience the problem again. 3.2.4SG as a new bug where ports also disable themselves.

Cisco said "CSCua31890 was recently found, and has been root caused by the BU to a race condition that has always existed but became more likely to be encountered due to faster PoE detection changes in 3.2.4SG and 3.3.0SG."

Cisco are targeting a solution for this issue in 3.2.5SG and 3.3.1SG, currently slated for October and September release, respectively.

So after I upgraded to 3.2.4SG, I've now downgraded to 3.2.3SG. This version seems to be fine.

Thanks mate.

Cisco TAC replied:

That’s a different bug regarding to POE port issue, it can be resolved by shut/no shut port, however in your case, shut/no shut can’t fix the issue, so we are not hitting that bug in this case. The fix for CSCua31890 will be in 3.2.5SG which is planning to be released in October

Looks like this bug is different from what we are experiencing! oh well according to them! we are upgrading to 3.3.SG next weekend and see how it goes.

cheers

Yeah it is different but the end result was the same Port does not work.

Unfortunately the shut/no shut did not work for us whilst running on 3.2.4SG. As you noticed shut/no shut didn't work either when we were on 3.2.0SG.

I've you've got PoE blades, maybe you should install 3.2.3SG and then you'll know everything will be fine.

Goodluck!

did upgrade to 3.3G three weeks ago! couple of ports still wont come up! But this time when i did a shut/no shut command it brought it online.In 3.2.sg it wont work even if you reset the module.  Looks like the issue isnt completely resolved but only workarounds available at this time. Cisco TAC said to wait for the software release in october which will fix it.

Hi Srini

As I mentioned early, 3.3 has the bug as well. If you install 3.2.3SG, then everything will be fine. Or wait till the new release.

yea thanks mate.I was asked to wait till the new release. Thanks for the assistance.

cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card