cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Some Questions about Vlans

mike-elliott
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 3750x switch stack.  We installed it to replace a failing network infrastructure.  Right now, all but a few of the ports are access ports.  We have a portchannel setup to connect two offices.

All of our access devices are currently on one big vlan.  We'd like to break this vlan up by putting certain devices into specific vlans.  There are a lot of nodes on our network.  We have tested setting ports to other vlans and getting the routing up and running and everything works. 

A few problems have arisen.

1) What happens when a VMWare image is hosted on a machine, connected to a vlan, but it's on a different subnet.

example: we have several users that have VMware fusion installed.  They use a different subnet for the servers they install inside of vmware (so two ip subnets would appear on that link).  The servers have licensing assigned by IP so they can't be easily changed

2) How do you guys usually handle situations where a user moves their computer to say a common area (boardroom, lounge etc) but wish to remain on their vlan? (no wifi yet)

Thanks ahead of time!

Mike

1 Reply 1

Hello Mike,

Issue no 1: I have a very little bit of knowledge, If the machine vlan are only internal to machine and have nothing to with the vlans in your external switch then it is ok I feel...

Issue NO 2:

One way which I know is, you need a vmps ( VLAN Management Policy server) for handling your  issue.

The other way which I do is I will bind the port to particular vlan which user want. (Admin work involved)

Please rate helpful posts

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card