cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN for port or VLAN monitoring

jeff6strings
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 3550XL switch with software verions 12.1(22) and the gigabit interface is a VLAN trunk to the core switch. All ports on this switch are in the same VLAN (VLAN 100) including the destination (monitoring) port. I would like to monitor all the traffic from all the ports on this switch or on the VLAN not really sure which. After reading the article below on SPAN i'm confused as to which commands I should use to in order to monitor the traffic on all the ports or just the VLAN;  the destination port is port f0/35. If it makes a difference I'm not interested in the tagging information.

I greatly appreciate any assistance with which commands I should use to accomplist the monitoring.

Jeff

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swspan.html#wp1078789

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

You can use the following 2 commands:

monitor session 1 source vlan 100 both

monitor session 1 destination interface f0/35

This will monitor all traffic (incoming/outgoing) sourced and destined for Vlan 100.

Regards,

Mohamed

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

You can use the following 2 commands:

monitor session 1 source vlan 100 both

monitor session 1 destination interface f0/35

This will monitor all traffic (incoming/outgoing) sourced and destined for Vlan 100.

Regards,

Mohamed

Mohamed,

Thank you for the reply. This mornining I will try what you suggested and post the results.

jeff

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card