cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id

chrish
Level 1
Level 1

This error apparently means that trunk ports started receiving inconsistent native vlan info from it's peers. Meaning that either the switch in question or it's neighbor switches had it's native vlan ID change or disappear. My question is how could this happen and then correct itself in the absence of any outside intervention. AKA this problem occured and then cleared itself apparently. The links that this happened on were apparently shut down by STP and then came back up (according to STP)Their were EIGRP neigbors across these links that did not come back although all could be seen via CDP.

Any explanantion would be appreciated.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Can you tell me, this trunk is working between Cisco and another vendor?

If yes, in this case... You need to check correct frame tagging. Such 802.1Q.

Second, if you are using the trunk Between Cisco 6509 and Another vendor Such as Ex: DELL or else. 6509 sending VLAN -1 Tagged VLAn and DELL switch is sending VLAN-1 Untagged.

In this situation also posibility you can receive the same error.

Solution is upgrade firmware on another vendor switch.

Basically you have to check

Error Message

%SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR : Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id [dec] on [chars] [chars].

Explanation : The specified interface has received an SSTP BPDU that is tagged with a VLAN ID that does not match the VLAN ID on which the BPDU was received. This condition occurs when the native VLAN is not consistently configured on both ends of a 802.1Q trunk.

Recommended Action : Verify that the configuration of the native VLAN ID is consistent on the interfaces on each end of the 802.1Q trunk connection. Once this inconsistency is corrected, spanning tree will automatically unblock the interfaces as appropriate.

You can check the on following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_system_message_guide_chapter09186a008009e7a1.html#wp353669

If you have still any question please let me know.

We will here to solve the problems..............

ahahahhahahahhahahhahah ....... enjoy day.

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Thanks for your reply.

I have read the explanation of the error but I am trying to grasp how it could have occured.

I have been kind of caught with my pants down on this as I don't have much logging going on to help out. The specific error specified was on a port-channel link between 2 4948 switches which have been in service for almost a year. However I do have another access link going to a 4500 switch which also lost connectivity (at least on a layer 3 level. This link is effectively an L3 link but it is configured as an access port on a "transport" vlan between 2 switches ).

Being as this has been a working configuration and there was no configuring down that could explain the cause of the problem or how it came back I am trying to determine the root cause of the vlan inconsistency.

Check if interfaces on some host have a bridge from one VLAN to another. It happened to me when I copied one config file for another interface, but forgot to edit all fields.

Hay Dharmesh.... will you plz mail me? i have some query.

aashishbhosale10@gmail.com

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card