Views
Helpful
Replies

Speed and duplex strange issue

ShoaibM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I need to understand the speed and duplex settings of the port. I am trying to hard code the speed and duplex settings of the interface which apparently seems a simple procedure. So far what i have learned is you can hard code the interface speed and duplex settings. But in my lab i have the following situation.

Status "notconnect"
SW-3560 <-----------------------------> SW-2960
speed 100                                                         speed 100
duplex full                                                          duplex full

Status "notconnect"
speed 100                                                         speed 100
duplex auto                                                       duplex auto

Status "notconnect"
speed auto                                                        speed auto
duplex full                                                         duplex full

Status "connected"
speed 100                                                         speed auto
duplex full                                                          duplex auto

****** no "DUPLEX MISMATCH DISCOVERED" log messages ******

Status "connected"
speed auto                                                        speed 100
duplex auto                                                       duplex full

******* "DUPLEX MISMATCH DISCOVERED" log messages on both switches ******

**** if i run "sh controllers ethernet-controller fa 0/4" command on both switches. I can see collisions on 3560 interface in the "TRANSMIT" column and similarly on 2960 in the "RECIEVE" column.

Ports on both these switches are 10/100 capable.

I have tried to go through books, cisco online documents and previous community threads but so far i could not find anything which can explain this behaviour of the interface.

Any idea why is this?

Many thanks.

19 Replies 19

"I am using cat 6 straight cable. I will check with crossover cable and let you know.
Both switches support MDI-X feature. I think you are correct."

Leo is likely correct. "Like kind" of Ethernet ports, connected back-to-back, need a cross over cable unless the ports support auto mdi/mdi-x (which as Leo noted, is disabled when you turn off "auto").

Also as Leo noted, hard coding speed/duplex is very old school, like last century. Generally, network vendors, this century, recommend using auto/auto. (About the only advantage of using hard code speed duplex, assuming auto/auto works, a link will come "up" a bit faster hard coded, but then you give up some built in error checking.)

Thank you for your response Joseph.

Yes, Leo is indeed correct. I didn't think about MDI-X. This is interesting to know about auto/auto setting. Thank you for sharing your experience.

BTW, auto/auto doesn't always imply there's auto MDI/MDI-X too - i.e. it's platform dependent.

Thank you, Joseph. I understand now. I will come back once I check with crossover cable just for my understanding sake.

Hi @Leo Laohoo and @Joseph W. Doherty
You were right. With the crossover cable, there is no issue when I change the speed/duplex of the interface. Thank you for your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card