Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack switches confusion

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

Lets say i have 2 3750 switches stacked via backend stack cables. Now if a packet needs to go from 1 switch in the stack to second switch in the stack, will it travel via stack cable or do we need to connect both switches via uplink ports (ethernet or sfp).

Someone pls guide me and also if there is a document. I tried reading datasheet but it no wheres mention the actual frame path between switches in stack.

3 Replies 3

Eric_Wu
Level 1
Level 1

It'll go via stack cable

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Sir, thanks, is there any document you can refer to me to further read about it ?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Hmm, unsure I could find you a specific reference, but I've used/use original 3750 series, 3750-E series and 3750-X series, and I can confirm that somehow data flows between stack members when the units are stacked and the stack ring is operating correctly.  In fact, in this configuration, connecting a pair of Ethernet ports between stack members, within the same VLAN, will create a L2 loop.

Not documented (that I've found) is how StackWise selects which stack ring port (of the two) to use, i.e. whether it keeps all packets of the same flow on the same ring port, or alternates them.  Also not documented (that I've found) is whether balancing is Etherchannel like (i.e. hashed), round-robin or some form of dynamic load balancing.

What is described for StackWisePlus, it only places unicast traffic on the ring when it must and the destination switch removes it.  Original StackWise floods all packets onto the ring and the source switch removes it.  (The StackWisePlus would better utilize ring bandwidth.)

BTW, StackWise is 8 Gbps (duplex) per port.  StackWisePlus is 16 Gbps (duplex) per port.  (Also note, the new 3850s might be 120 Gbps [duplex] per port.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card