Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking Switch

jain.manish94
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello 

in stacking switch i am getting mismatch error. what to do...

2      master     0001.2223.2225.5556    5      ready

4      member   0003.565.56588             5      sdm mismatch

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So both switches need to match here in terms of your sdm templates for switch not to have a mis-match when stacked

do a show sdm on each switch and alter it so they are the same

This doc explains and shows how to do it

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swsdm.pdf

View solution in original post

47 Replies 47

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So both switches need to match here in terms of your sdm templates for switch not to have a mis-match when stacked

do a show sdm on each switch and alter it so they are the same

This doc explains and shows how to do it

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swsdm.pdf

please tell me what does mean of stack bandwidht here

show switch stack-bandwidth
Stack Current
Switch# Role Bandwidth    State
------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active          480G         Ready
2 Standby        480G         Ready

stack bandwidth =  480 G means.

its the data plane throughput

Scale with distributed wired and wireless data plane: The distributed wired and wireless data plane enables enterprises to scale to a 480G data plane per switching stack

you mean this is for data flow capacity.. 

Yes data plane or forwarding plane is the packet flow of traffic

when you stack switches the power/performance/redundancy etc is increased in most aspects  , its what the whole stacks combined data plane is cable of

please tell me how to remove sdm mismatch problem from the switch , i mean which command i run on both switch or single switch 

Please check the doc it explains how to do this step by step

The stack will probably need to be broken or at least rebooted for this to happen so its going to be service affecting as it should of really fixed the mis-match automatically , you will have to do it manually 

sdm templates should be set before the stack is formed , you need to check which one you want to use and then set both switches to be the same 

show sdm prefer is how you would check each switch its in the doc too with examples of outputs

sdm prefer xxxx is what you use to set it depending on what you pick

and what is major and minor issue in Stacking Switch... 

Major Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with different major Cisco IOS software versions usually have different stack protocol versions. Switches with different major version numbers are incompatible and cannot exist in the same switch stack.

Minor Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with the same major version number but with a different minor version number are considered partially compatible. When connected to a switch stack, a partially compatible switch enters version-mismatch (VM) mode and cannot join the stack as a fully functioning member. The software detects the mismatched software and tries to upgrade (or downgrade) the switch in VM mode with the switch stack image or with a tar file image from the switch stack flash memory. The software uses the automatic upgrade (auto-upgrade) and the automatic advise (auto-advise) features. For more information, see the "Understanding Auto-Upgrade and Auto-Advise" section.

To see if there are switches in VM mode, use the show switch user EXEC command. The port LEDs on switches in VM mode stay off. Pressing the Mode button does not change the LED mode.

You can use the boot auto-download-sw global configuration command to specify a URL pathname for the master switch to use to get an image in case of version mismatch.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swstack.html#wp1223384

please give me some example and commands also for this which you faced in stacking switch please

there is no commands for miss-matched stacked numbers , maybe show switch or dir to see what ios is in place

its the major and minor numbers of the ios code if they don't match that's where the issue occurs

these would be the major and minor numbers of an ios

12.2(55)SE8

Figure 2. IOS T Numbering

Switch#   Role    Mac Address     Priority Version  State

------------------------------------------------------------

*1       Active   0041.d259.ec80     1      V06     Ready

2       Member   3820.5623.1600     1      0       Lic-Mismatch

what does this mean 

You don't have the same license on each switch but you have stacked them together anyway thus giving this error

2nd switch has the different license , you will need to correct it, by adduing the license that's also on the switch1

license team in Cisco provide the licenses if you don't have 1 , check each switch separately with show license

how to add new license i mean by which command please tell me. and suppose i have different license , is there any command to so they can work with different license. or it should be same license same hardware. like

3750 to 3750

3850 to 3850 

and 

3750 to 3850   here is possible or not...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco