Views
Helpful
Replies

Stackwise 3850 SW with different port configuration

emirjonb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can someone tell me if I can build a stack with two 3850 SW running on IP Base feature but have different physical port configuration? 

On Cisco guide the only conditions are regarding same IOS and licensing but doesn't have other requirements regarding physical differences on port number or media used. (just want to be sure)

• WS-C3850-24T-L
  • WS-C3850-24S-S 

or

• WS-C3850-24XS-S
2 Replies 2

Hello,

Yes it seems that the only requirements are same IOS and licensing:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/qa_c67-722110.html

Regarding the hardware it only affects the number of the switches in the stack (from 9 to 8) depending on the models included.

Up to 9 Cisco Catalyst 3850 switches can be stacked together to build single logical StackWise-480 switch since Cisco IOS XE Release 3.3.0SE. Prior to Cisco IOS XE Release 3.3.0SE, up to 4 Cisco Catalyst 3850 switches could be stacked together.
If you have 3850-XU (multigigabit) switches or Cisco Catalyst 3850-XS (10G SFP+) switches in the stack, then up to 8 switches can be stacked together to build a single logical StackWise-480 switch.

Cheers,

Hello

Thank you for your response and the detailed information.

Yes, I did saw many documentation not excluding this scenario but I have to be sure before making the order for this 2 Sw. Does anyone tried this on real equipment on production?

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card