Views
Helpful
Replies

Stackwise using 3750X's and 3750's

f.sorrentino
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an existing stack of WS-C3750G-48PS switches and I am trying to find out if I can add a WS-C3750X-48P-S which would enable me to have a 10Gb uplink to our new core.  I an initially leaning towards this configuration not working as the new 3750X switches have a Stacking cable AND a Stacking power cable which the older 3750's do not have. Am i right?

Cheers,

Franco

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Franco

From the 3750X Q&A -

Q. Are mixed stacks supported?

A. It depends. The Cisco StackWise and StackWise Plus solutions are flexible enough to allow you to:

• Stack any Cisco Catalyst 3750 switch in the same stack (hardware mixed stack)

• Stack any Cisco IOS Software feature set in the same stack (software mixed stack)

One exception is the new LAN Base models being introduced with the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X Series, which can stack only with other Catalyst 3750-X LAN Base models.

Q. Can a Cisco Catalyst 3750-X Series Switch with LAN Base software be used in any Cisco Catalyst 3750 stack?

A. No. LAN Base models can stack only with other LAN Base models.

Q. Can a Cisco Catalyst 3750-X LAN Base switch be upgraded to IP Base and stacked with any Cisco Catalyst 3000 switch?

A. Yes. Once a Cisco Catalyst 3750-X LAN Base switch is upgraded to IP Base or IP Services, it can be stacked with any non-LAN Base switch or stack.

So yes you can use it in a mixed stack with the right feature set. However the 3750-X also supports Stackpower and as far as i know this is only supported on the X series so you won't be able to use that feature.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Franco

From the 3750X Q&A -

Q. Are mixed stacks supported?

A. It depends. The Cisco StackWise and StackWise Plus solutions are flexible enough to allow you to:

• Stack any Cisco Catalyst 3750 switch in the same stack (hardware mixed stack)

• Stack any Cisco IOS Software feature set in the same stack (software mixed stack)

One exception is the new LAN Base models being introduced with the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X Series, which can stack only with other Catalyst 3750-X LAN Base models.

Q. Can a Cisco Catalyst 3750-X Series Switch with LAN Base software be used in any Cisco Catalyst 3750 stack?

A. No. LAN Base models can stack only with other LAN Base models.

Q. Can a Cisco Catalyst 3750-X LAN Base switch be upgraded to IP Base and stacked with any Cisco Catalyst 3000 switch?

A. Yes. Once a Cisco Catalyst 3750-X LAN Base switch is upgraded to IP Base or IP Services, it can be stacked with any non-LAN Base switch or stack.

So yes you can use it in a mixed stack with the right feature set. However the 3750-X also supports Stackpower and as far as i know this is only supported on the X series so you won't be able to use that feature.

Jon

Jon provided lot info's

IP base 3750X can be stacked with IP base 3750 through stack cables.

3750X's stack power cable cannot be used when stacking 3750 switch as 3750's are not capable of power stacking.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: