Helpful
Replies

Static external host records (IOS)

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

Cisco 2911 here.

Ive been trying to make static host records to resolve to an internal adress.

For example ip host trailers.apple.com 192.168.1.4 is what i typed into conf t.

It saved it, its in the configuration now but whenever i ping i keep getting:

ping trailers.apple.com   

Translating "trailers.apple.com"...domain server (2001:4860:4860::8844) (2001:4860:4860::8888) (8.8.4.4) (8.8.8.8)

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.1.4, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!!!!

Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/1 ms

When i from any client try to ping it keeps going to the official web adress IP.

Any idea how that is possible? and is there a way to make sure it does what i want?
Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ip host command allows you to create a supplement or an over-ride to DNS. So you configured an ip host for trailers.apple.com pointing to an internal address. Now the router will use that in preference to anything it would get from a remote DNS server. And when you ping from the 2911 it works as expected. When you ping from a client in your network it does not work. And the reason is that the ip host is essentially a local function which works on the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ok, so then my question is, how can I make it so i can make this work for all devices on the LAN?

Hi,

you'd have to configure your router as a DNS server: and send this DNS server via DHCP to your clients.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/6248-102-1-20340/DNS%20Configuration%20of%20Cisco%20Router%20as%20DNS%20Server.pdf

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

It is configured as that and all clients are set to 192.168.1.1 (which is the Routers IP adress).

Hi,

post your router config, as well as a host network config also clear the dns cache on the host and do a nslookup for another machine and post the output.

Regards

Alain

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card