Views
Helpful
Replies

Static MAC address entry and MS NLB

Kevin Brennan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am in the process of setting up a new Microsoft NLB web farm. I've only ever configured this before on a single switch so I'm looking for a sanity check on the setup for two switches.

I have 2 web nodes, both running Microsoft NLB in multicast mode (without IGMP). Node A is connected to SW1, Gi1/1 and node B is connected to SW2, Gi1/1. there is a port channel trunk between the two switches with the correct vlans allowed. Not shown in the diagram is a second interface on both hosts connected to a management network that is not related.

Is the snippet for the config on SW1 and SW2 below correct? or am I going to create some kind of a loop with traffic for this mac address being bounced forward and back across the port channel?

Thanks

Kevin

SW1:
====
!
arp 172.20.209.75 03bf.ac14.d14b ARPA alias
mac-address-table static 03bf.ac14.d14b vlan 209 interface GigabitEthernet1/1 Port-channel1
!

SW2:
====
!
arp 172.20.209.75 03bf.ac14.d14b ARPA alias
mac-address-table static 03bf.ac14.d14b vlan 209 interface GigabitEthernet1/1 Port-channel1
!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Kevin,

I agree that the static entries are needed also on the port-channel because in this way standard IGMP snooping is overriden

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your reply.

I had seen that tech document before. The only difference between it and my current scenario is that I have two switches instead of one. It's really traffic on the port channel that I have a concern about.

Thanks

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

I agree that the static entries are needed also on the port-channel because in this way standard IGMP snooping is overriden

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you Giuseppe.

Kevin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card