cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

STP error on Cisco (uplink to Extreme)...

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

When I see this in a log:

On Cisco sw we get this error in logs:

*Feb 28 16:04:30.982: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR:

Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 1 on GigabitEthernet0/1 on vlan 11.

*Feb 28 16:04:30.982: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking GigabitEthernet0/1 on vlan 1.

Inconsistent peer vlan.

*Feb 28 16:04:31.000: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking GigabitEthernet0/1 on vlan 11.

Inconsistent local vlan

Odd part is on the uplink side (Extreme 5i STP is disabled).  The error means that onn the Cisco side it recv'd a packet that should of been vlan 11 untagged|?

It goes to a cisco 3548XL (really old IOS) when I have sw mo tr and sw tr en dot1 on its uplink.

Nornally between sw to sw we always have all vlans tagged...but for this setup to work I have to untag vlan 19 on the Extreme side and then add sw tr na vl 19 on the Cisco uplinik side, other wise not all vlan traffic passed.  Any ideas?  Vlan 11 is management vlan 19 is user vlan.

4 Replies 4

you should check the standards that the two OSs(Extreme and Cisco) are usng for compatibility. Make sure that an open standard version of the xSTP is implemented and design on a paper all the trees spanning  your vlans. It does not seem really a native vlan mismatch. Even if obvious , let me suggest to upgrade,  for a better STP/BPDU interaction, your IOS on the 3548XL.

HTH

Alessio

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

Thats the odd part,  I have setup this up at diff sites 20+ times...but never with a Cisco 3548XL to an Extreme 5i, it shouldnt matter, but it does.  I recv'd an old config from the LAN rtr and its does show all ports tagged....so its left to something funky on the Cisco.

0389-SW-Training-01#sh ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C3500XL Software (C3500XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.1)XW, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 21-Dec-00 12:04 by devgoyal
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00329E10

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3500XL boot loader

0389-SW-Training-01 uptime is 1 week, 5 days, 12 hours, 56 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload
System restarted at 19:33:53 PDT Tue Jul 17 2012
System image file is "flash:c3500XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.1-XW.bin"

When I have sw mo tr (on Cisco gi0/1) which uplinks to Extreme 5i and have all ports tagged....the Cisco disables the uplink port to the Extreme for a vlan with the log error I posted earlier.  Unfortunately its for a school district, so its   picking up....so it might be a bit until I can get back out during a maintenance window.  Thanks for the feedback.  I have seen cases where this IOS is old and well needed udpate is probably in order, as you said.

Hi Jimmy,

i guess that by now you can just implement on both of them 802.1d standard ... i am pretty sure they both support "in the same way" this version. so essentially:

a) simple downgrade of cisco rstp to STP

b) move from disabled to STP on the extreme

or

just disable the RSTP on the cisco uplink side if you NOT risk any loop. Portfast?

Keep faith to your design in first place !!!!!

Good Luck

Alessio

Its something deeper.  STP is disabled on the extreme side.  Dont ask, not my design/standard.

But thinking now, I am going to disable STP on the Cisco side as well for vl 1,11,19.  I just found it odd that the Cisco sw was interpreting the Extreme side packets :

*Feb 28 16:04:30.982: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking GigabitEthernet0/1 on vlan 1.

Inconsistent peer vlan.

*Feb 28 16:04:31.000: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking GigabitEthernet0/1 on vlan 11.

Inconsistent local vlan

As spanning tree packets when spanning tree was disabled on the extreme side.  Again, not my design.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card