cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%STP-I-EDGEPORT: Attention: port gi(X) from which the bpdu was received is configured as Fast Port

Odys (CSC)
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

There are two switches sw1 and sw2 connected to each other with a trunk.

sw1 config

interface gigabitethernet11
 switchport trunk allowed vlan add 7575,12

sw2 config

interface gigabitethernet22

spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpdu filtering

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 7575,12

I'm getting this attention on sw2

%STP-I-EDGEPORT: Attention: port gi22 from which the bpdu was received is configured as Fast Port

Is this bad ? Should I be concerned ? What would be the consequences of leaving the config as it is now ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It seems that the attention message is formulated in an unfortunate way. What it is saying is this: A BPDU has been received on Gi22 but Gi22 is configured as a PortFast port - that is, an edge port - and should never be receiving BPDUs. A PortFast port should only be connected to an end host that does not perform switching, and obviously, does not run STP.

It seems that the switch is right: According to your description, your Gi22 port is a trunk port connected to another switch. Therefore, it is not an edge port (connecting to an end host) and it should never, ever, be configured with PortFast.

I suggest removing both the BPDU Filter and PortFast configuration from your Gi22 port. Otherwise, you're risking a switching loop in case there are redundant links in your topology.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey you need to remove the 2 below commands there for access ports not trunks that should stop the log occurring

spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpdu filtering

Mark,

Sorry, I've had my reply in writing for quite some time and didn't know you've posted your own. I didn't mean to intrude.

Best regards,
Peter

Not intruding at all Peter always good for the poster to have it confirmed by multiple people

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It seems that the attention message is formulated in an unfortunate way. What it is saying is this: A BPDU has been received on Gi22 but Gi22 is configured as a PortFast port - that is, an edge port - and should never be receiving BPDUs. A PortFast port should only be connected to an end host that does not perform switching, and obviously, does not run STP.

It seems that the switch is right: According to your description, your Gi22 port is a trunk port connected to another switch. Therefore, it is not an edge port (connecting to an end host) and it should never, ever, be configured with PortFast.

I suggest removing both the BPDU Filter and PortFast configuration from your Gi22 port. Otherwise, you're risking a switching loop in case there are redundant links in your topology.

Best regards,
Peter

Thank both of you Mark and Peter ^^

I know it's improper to keep those two commands. I've actually asked how bad is that and what are the consequences.

Peter has cleared it up to me.

Garry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: