cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange EIGRP Behavior

PolyCaleb
Level 1
Level 1

So I have a situation where I have a layer 3 switch (R3-1) that is 2 hops away from the subnet on R1 (another layer 3 switch).  It has formed an eigrp neighbor with the two layer 3 switches (R2-1 and R2-2) that are one hop away from R1 however it is not getting the route to R1 but instead it is getting a route that goes through R4 which is connected to R3-2 (which then connects back to R2-1 and R2-2).

All ports are gigabit Ethernet ports (so they have the same cost) and every layer 3 device has router eigrp 100.

I've attached a network diagram with direction the route is passed and what the composite metric of the route is (from show ip eigrp topology 10.1.1.16/28 on each device).

How do I get R3-1 to be the proper 2 Hops from R1?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So going through the show ip topology I found that only the subnets on R1 were misrouted.  R3-1 has the appropriate number of hops to subnets on other switches that were similarly connected as R1.

When I looked I found that the Router ID was the same on R1 as it was on R3-1.  I fixed the Router ID to be different and it resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

post the output of 'show ip eigrp topology' from Router R3-1.

Is this a live network or a simulation ?

So this is a live network, which makes me leery of posting the complete "show ip eigrp topology".  Is there something in particular you are looking for?

Hello,

the thing is, even with advanced traffic engineering it is pretty hard to get a route over 4 hops preferred to a route over 2 hops.

Check the configs of the routers and if things like the delay on the interfaces have been altered...

So going through the show ip topology I found that only the subnets on R1 were misrouted.  R3-1 has the appropriate number of hops to subnets on other switches that were similarly connected as R1.

When I looked I found that the Router ID was the same on R1 as it was on R3-1.  I fixed the Router ID to be different and it resolved the issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card