Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange Network Behaviour

Chris Golden
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am essentially looking if anyone has experienced what I am about to state. I for one have never experienced this:

For a while now (and I am not sure I only experience this on hardware servers on the small stack switches only) I have been having the following, very strange problem: I setup most of the servers using teaming/bonding. What happens is that when booting the server it can be that I will be able to ping it (remotely) or not.
To "fix" the problem I will need to sit in front of the server (or get console access somehow) and ping some random host. The very second I do this, the host becomes reachable again, without changing anything else!
I have no idea why this might be happening. There is nothing in the logs and I also haven't found anything online. I don't know if it can be related to my switches?  I am using SG500 Stack series also with 3850 Stack connected through an uplink.
Thanks
1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

sounds like the macs not resolving to ip until traffic is sent from server somehow , the fact you see the issue on both stacks that are completely different in architecture makes me think it might be the servers

are they all running same OS , are they same model etc anything common about them

Does it only happen when bonded , does everything work without bonding on the servers

do you have any issues with pcs having same issue when connected to the switches

did you try a laptop in same port when the issue is there to see if it sees the same problem as the servers this will rule out the switches

I would check the arp table see if the server macs are resolving properly when connected and not incomplete in arp table

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card