Views
Helpful
Replies

Student

pjkoni001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am interest to start a new carrier in Networking.

I want to pass the CCNA exam.

I see in Cisco Press :

Cisco CCNA Routing and Switching 200-120 Official Cert Guide and Simulator Library

I want to know if that book is the best way to prepare my self to pass the CCNA exam?

Thank you.

Paul Julien.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

When I started out I was a junior network engineer. I took upon myself to read the CCNA book alongside my job.

If you're not in the industry I think a good start would be the CCNA book. Reading a book without kit to practice with might be difficult. I would recommend using GNS3 to get a feel for the command line alongside your study. Unless you have fantastic memory when it comes to actually doing  the job the book will be a useful resource to refer too but you will need to know how to create a VLAN for instance. The book will teach you a lot of theory, but you need to know certain command/syntax especially if you plan to take exams. Most people will only remember with doing and that's where GNS3 or buying kit will help.

That is my opinion and it is only advice. Others may disagree.

Good luck

Joel

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joel
Level 1
Level 1

It's a good start.

I would recommend looking at VIRL or GNS3 to get some experience. If you have the money purchase some kit. People are always listing CCNA labs for sale on a certain site.

Not sure if you're in the industry but you will need to understand network services as well such as DNS/DHCP. I would add learning a bit about OS to fully understand the stack Linux/Windows/OSx.

Few tools you will find useful

For packet captures - WireShark/TCPDUMP

NMAP

MTR

NCAT

Hope this helps.

Joel

Thank you Joel.

It is a lot of information you gave me.

Where should I start?  Or doing 2 thinks in the same time?

I am not in the industry.

I learn programming (C++,...@UQAM University).

I want to learn Network to be in the Networking Industry.

Paul Julien.

When I started out I was a junior network engineer. I took upon myself to read the CCNA book alongside my job.

If you're not in the industry I think a good start would be the CCNA book. Reading a book without kit to practice with might be difficult. I would recommend using GNS3 to get a feel for the command line alongside your study. Unless you have fantastic memory when it comes to actually doing  the job the book will be a useful resource to refer too but you will need to know how to create a VLAN for instance. The book will teach you a lot of theory, but you need to know certain command/syntax especially if you plan to take exams. Most people will only remember with doing and that's where GNS3 or buying kit will help.

That is my opinion and it is only advice. Others may disagree.

Good luck

Joel

Thank you for these informations. 

I will start with GNS3,  then I will jump to CCNA course (book and simulator lab).

Thanks for your help and wishes.

Paul Julien.

srinarah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul,

We sincerely admire your interest in networking. We would love to see passionate people like yourself develop into great engineers, evolve this great field, and transform every walk of life for the better.

Joel's advice is sound. As a CCNA and a former CCSP, I can attest that there is no substitute for hands-on experience. By pairing hands-on experience with a solid knowledge base of core concepts, you can prepare yourself for success in your career and in your exams.

An additional suggestion that I can offer is that you learn python. Python is often used to automate repetitive tasks pertaining to network administration and management. In my opinion, python is one of the cleanest, most beautiful programming/scripting languages I have every encountered, and I have experience with several languages -- Java, C, Scheme, Prolog, NetLogo, and so forth.

We want you to know that you can achieve anything if you put your heart to it. We wish you the very best of success.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco