Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestion for handling OSPF VRF

Hi all,

I'm facing with a big problem. I need to optimize the configuration of a L3 core switch for one of our customer.

The starting situation: Global Routing Table, VRFA and VRFB. The protocl running on the core switch is OSPF. VRFA and VRFB currentrly speak withc GRT through two Port-Channel. The goal is to remove these port-channels and reconfigure the OSPF to make redistribution between VRF and GRT at software level.

What is the best way to do it? Activating BGP and using export/import to exchange routing informations between VRF and GRT? Will the redistribution work at control or data plane? Is there a way to reach the goal using OSPF only without activate other protocols?

I necessary I can post some schemas or configurations.

Thanks for your help.

Maury

2 Replies 2

Hi,

As you mentioned VRF's and GRT are able to communicate between each other, how it is being executed currently? About the question it should be control plane. The best way should be using import and export and to be more specific using maps. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio,

currently the communications between the VRF's and the GRT run at L3 with four Port-Channel.

Example:

interface Port-channel36
 description *** GRT - VRFA , GRT side ***
 ip address 192.168.162.129 255.255.255.252
 ip ospf cost 400
!
interface Port-channel37
 description *** GRT - VRFA , VRFA side ***
 ip vrf forwarding VRFA
 ip address 192.168.162.130 255.255.255.252
 ip ospf cost 400
!
interface Port-channel38
 description *** GRT - VRFB , GRT side ***
 ip address 192.168.162.133 255.255.255.252
 ip ospf cost 400
!
interface Port-channel39
 description *** GRT - VRFB , VRFB side ***
 ip vrf forwarding VRFB
 ip address 192.168.162.134 255.255.255.252
 ip ospf cost 400

So the traffic goes out of the Core Switch and then goes back to the same Switch.

So, my idea was to apply import / export as it work with MP-BGP.

How it works with OSPF? Do I need to activate BGP?

GRT run OSPF process 9, VRFA process 37 and VRFB process 38.

Thanks,

Maurizio

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card