cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

swapping out sup720 question

john.humes1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am a intern that was tasked with swapping out a supervisor 720-3b that has to be sent out for rma, and I already received the replacement from Cisco. So my question is the Sup720-3b I am switching is out from production, can I pull out the disk 0 and place that disk 0 into the replacement so it can boot up as if it was the original sup720-3b? I have not done anything like this as of yet so i'm trying to find the most simple method that wont risk knock out the network. 

2 Replies 2

agapitca19
Level 1
Level 1

john.humes1,

type sh bootvar to see where the current active sup is booting from and what image

if the current active sup was booting from disk0, insert the flash card from the faulty sup to disk1 of the current active sup and type dir disk1: to verify that it has the same IOS image as disk0

if identical then insert the flash card that you just inserted in disk1 to disk0 of the replcement sup, remove the faulty sup, and install the replacement sup. plug in a console cable with a laptop to the replacement sup so you could monitor the boot process.

IF it goes to rommon mode, type BOOT=disk0:<complete IOS image name>

type sync

type reset

wait for the replacement sup to boot completely

log in to the switch, type sh mod and you should see the output below when the replacement sup is in sync completely. one sup as Active and the other as Hot which means it is in SSO mode.

Mod Ports   Card Type                                  Model 
--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------
    1       2       Supervisor Engine 720 (Active)  WS-SUP720-3B 
    2       2       Supervisor Engine 720 (Hot)      WS-SUP720-3B 

you may also type sh redundancy states

my state = 13 -ACTIVE
   peer state = 8 -STANDBY HOT
   Mode = Duplex
   Unit = Primary
   Unit ID = 1
   Redundancy Mode (Operational) = sso
   Redundancy Mode (Configured) = sso
   Redundancy State = sso

HTH,

***Please rate and mark the comment correct if you found it helpful***

thank you very much, im going to give this a try in the lab to make sure i have it down but doing it on the production sup.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card