Views
Helpful
Replies

switch failover

neonetad
Level 1
Level 1

I want to connect:
Wire connection as the primary and wireless connection as a back up.
I have to do it in layer 2 based on network requirement.
as expected, when primary connection failed, immediately changed to wireless and after that back to primary one.
Two switches, two interfaces.
I used stp in wire port cost 100 and 200 to the second port on each switches. however there is a delay when first connection goes down and then again up. which is considerable time for the network.
Any ideas?
Best Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

STP is L2 so to detect failure it need L1 failed then STP detect failed of link. 
you can use RSTP (rapid) which is faster. 

Thanks A Lot
MHM

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ammahend
VIP
VIP

your question is not very clear, can you elaborate, may be with a topology.

for the delay is wired port, have you tried configuring spanning tree portfast on edge port ?

-hope this helps-

No, I didn't. actually it crossed my mind one time, but having this delay makes me think to find another way, which using Ether Channel and HSRP, however I didn't test it as for now. now using portfast? can you provide me more details?

If the Layer 2 switch over that will be some time to convergency, what STP you using, if you use RSTP the convergence timers are less compare to others.

This also matter what is other side device ? (both the side cisco switches ?) do you have any high level diagram and sample config what applied on the devices ?

now using portfast? can you provide me more details?

until we see the diagram and what configuration applied, its hard to suggest the config here. then we are doing trail and errors.

Do you need to Layer 2 connection only - or why not you using p2p with IGP to converge faster when the link fails and also it uses both the links.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Senario is:
Two switch connected to each other via two port for ex:
int 0/0 for wire and 1/0 for wireless
obviously my main connection is wired. now since it is living in layer 2, I must find a l2 solution.
So stp came to mind, however it has a bit more than expected delay.
Now RSTP is faster which I want to try. and if didn't work :
I need to find another way, which is, using EtherChannel and HSRP.
This is the situation.
what are your though?

STP is L2 so to detect failure it need L1 failed then STP detect failed of link. 
you can use RSTP (rapid) which is faster. 

Thanks A Lot
MHM

neonetad
Level 1
Level 1

Good idea, thanks.
it reduced delay, yet I must see it in function. Thanks a lot man:))

You are welcome 

Have a nice weekend 

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card