Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch interface last state change

Hello all, I have to say I used to be spoiled a bit w/ this one view in our old Nortel Java Device Manager... 

I used to be able to select all ports on a switch, right click, edit, and it'd show me all kinds of stats. One of them I could sort by, is active links, but also the date the interface last had a state change. This was phenomenal in being able to identify vacated wiring that I could strip patch cords from - freeing up swithc ports, cleaning out ugly mismanaged patch cords, etc... 

Is there a way to do this in cisco terms? been trying:

show int | inc line protocol is|input   & other ideas... No luck. 

Can you help me find a way to do the same type of thing on a 2960?

Thanks!

J

3 Replies 3

Ryan Bowman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Jason,

After some digging I have found a few things:

1.  Running the command:  'show interfaces interface-number' will show you the amount of time since the last configuration made, which may be useful, however it does not show how long since a state change.

2.  You can configure Link-state Tracking on the device using the following guidelines: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960/swethchl.html#wp1376499

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Ryan, I found an answer that works for me. I REALLY wish this was a feature report native in the IOS though. 

In my company we have the Solarwinds Engineer's Toolset, and I use the switch port mapper function OFTEN. There's a field right in the report settings that I had to add in, but shows that EXACT last state entry I was asking for! :-)

I know there's a free competitor to the SW Eng Toolset, I'm not sure if it will do the same - but for those with the Toolset,  you have the capability, and you CAN de-patch old jacks that haven't been in use! :-)

Also, I haven't had time to confirm it since we dont have switching licenses in Prime Infr 2.2 - but I think it might have the ability to report if you're managing your switches. 

there's also a tool called netdisco that tells you as well. 

*then again, who has time to de-patch and clean their closets??? #thisguyfindstime

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card