cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch POE Errors

wynneitmgr
Level 3
Level 3

Can anyone help explain the follow errors I am seeing in my POE Switch? Thank you.

POWER_OVER_ETHERNET.giga-swx 0/4 Couldn't enable pre-802.3at mode! --err code -3

POWER_OVER_ETHERNET The PoE subsystem has detected an error and will be internally reset.

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may want to include switch-model , and following up on to that ,check current software version installed and or use latest or advisory release if applicable,  check if the problem is then still  present (or not).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

pieterh
VIP
VIP

it means a connected device requests a PoE mode that is not compatible with PoE+ (802.3at)
802.3at and 802.3af are based on a 48V power supply, 

-> the error may indicate the connected device CAN use PoE,
but only using it's own PoE injector (some devices use a 24V Power source instead 48V)
please specify more info about the devices involved like switch model + port configuration,
and in particular what device is connected to this port

@pieterh 

So is there a solution or way to fix this?  Right now my ports POE is set to Auto. Here are my other options to set POE: Auto, Legacy, or 2 Point

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the model of the switch and show version and show power inline

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

>>> is there a solution or way to fix this?  <<<
you can always disable PoE (power inline never) then these messages will disappear  

-> please specify more info about the devices involved like switch model + port configuration,
and in particular what device is connected to this port
as already mentioned you may need to use the device specific PoE injector,

but we can't tell for sure unless you give more information about brand and model

@pieterh 

@balaji.bandi 

@marce1000 

The switch I am having issues with is an AdTran NetVanta 1534P. My other two switches are a Netgear GS724TPP and a Cisco C2960X

The switch I am having issues with is an AdTran NetVanta 1534P

You having issue with above switch ? is this cisco (not ) - still we try to understand what is the issue, what is the device you  trying to connect to cisco switch you getting above error ?

Look at the 2960 PoE  support

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/datasheet_c78-728232.html

BB

@balaji.bandi

@pieterh 

@marce1000 

I have the AdTran switch plugged into the Cisco switch. Should the Cisco port be Access or Trunk where the AdTran is plugged in?

When ever you connecting Switch to Switch ( we always suggest to use Trunk port to allow other VLAN)

If you different requirement only allow certain VLAN then configure with allowed list.

check also other side vendor configuration and compatability.

BB

@pieterh 

If I disable PoE won't that stop my devices from working since they require PoE? So basically, these errors are saying I dont have enough Power to support the devices?

"If I disable PoE won't that stop my devices from working since they require PoE? "

of course ! but it will stop logging this errors

I added a Smiley when posting te remark to switch of PoE but the editor removed it from the post

you are still very brief about the configuration 

- which of the switches logs these errors ? Adtran, Cisco, Netgear

- what is the ports configuration ?

- what kind of device is connected to this port ?

without proper information we can only guess about what  is possible and how to attack this problem 

@pieterh 

The logging error messages are on the AdTran switch. I have PoE VoIP phones plugged into the Adtran switch. The ports are setup as Trunk.

first - This is a community about Cisco devices, -> knowledge about AdTran switches is limited here 
second - you still do not give sufficient answer to my questions,
- what brand and model VOIP phones do you use ?
- what is the full port-configuration on the Adtran switch
without information i will stop guessing what happens here

third - port for VOIP phones MUST NOT be configured as trunk ports
these are access-ports that can support a data and a voice vlan

please look at the AdTran support forums

How to configure 2 VLANs (data & voice) on all ports accross three 1550 switches? - ADTRAN Support Community

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card