cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Port Description - Macro/Spreadsheet/Technique

Nicholas Hood
Level 1
Level 1

I was curious to know what others use to add port descriptions to switches when they have a spreadsheet from vendors with the information needed already provided. My vendor gives me a spreadsheet with the patch panel(drop) number and the room number used for our naming convention and I was looking for a better way to get this data together and apply it to my switches (sometimes multiple stacks of 8 or more 3750's) in a more efficient manner.

thanks,

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
sometimes multiple stacks of 8 or more 3750's

Not related to your issue but I don't recommend stacking 6 or more 3750 together.

They are in two seperate stacks but have related patch panel information.

I use two methods:

Method One - Excel

I use Excel's 'CONCATENATE' function.  I enter the commands and variables into columns.  Then I use a formula with concatenate to build the full string for each custom command.  You then have to highlight the resulting column and do a COPY -> PASTE SPECIAL -> VALUES.  Once you have the commands, you can simply COPY -> PASTE into a console or telnet session.  Be cautious though, as you have to be absolutely certain your commands are built correctly and that you know exactly what the outcome will be.  Once you hit paste, there's no turning back.  If you don't write the config and make a mistake, you can always reboot the switch (assuming there's the opportunity to do so).  You may also want to limit the number of commands you send to the switch at once as you may overflow the buffer.  If you need an example, give me some sample data and I can send you a spreadsheet with what I'm talking about already completed for you.

Method Two - Perl

I have written Perl scripts that will take in a CSV file and parse it to arrays.  I then open a telnet session and run the commands I need to, inserting the variables from the CSV file as appropriate.  I have also used Perl scripts to do some work in reverse, namely crawling a subnet or list of IP addresses to login to each Cisco device and output information like 'sh ver' and 'sh cdp neigh' to get a quick glance at the network physical and data link layers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card