Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch selector

amohie002
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dears,

My name is Ahmed Samir, IT manager at NTG Egypt.

Kindly we have a new tender working to complete it highly available switches.

The system contains one of the Oracle ODA device and one of Oracle backup server, in addition to the local network and expected to install 5 of Cisco Access points in future.

So, I believe that -WS-C3850-48P-S Cisco Catalyst will be enough but for Oracle devices connection we need minimum 6 SFP ports at the same time I can't any supported Fiber module support 6 or 8 ports, only 4 ports are available.

So, I would appreciate your support in finding to me this module or similar available switch with the required ports.

Thank you in advance, and please contact me at ahmedsaleh14@ntgclarity.com.

A waiting you kind reply.

3 Replies 3

David Hild
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Ahmed.

You could do (2) WS-C3850-24P-S and stack them together. This gives you a total of 48 PoE ports plus up to 8 SFP ports. Another option (and a little less expensive) is (2) WS-C3650-24PS-S which has the same as above but the SFP ports are fixed. You will also need to order the stacking module with the 3650. Otherwise you will need a chassis (modular) like the 4500 series to choose the appropriate line cards.

I hope this is helpful.

hi mr ahmed , do you still need help please let me know i can call you , my number 01006516410

m_pfeiler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ahmed,

I suggest to order 3850-12xs-s (-or when you need 1G SFPs only:  3850-12s-s) and connect it by StackWise-480 Cables to the existing switch. Keep in mind that on 3850-12xs-s for 12x10G connections there are - similar to 3850-NM - FO-SFP+(no 10G-T available) supported only.
The server interfaces therefor would need Fibre-optic interfaces too.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco