Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Suddenly Removed From Stack

CSCO11714967
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have 4 units of cisco 3750-x stacking together. Few days before I perform relocation activity which require the switch need to be turn off. After the activity completed everything working as usual until days after the activity a member from the stack was removed. Later I console into the removed switch and found out that it turns into rommon mode. The day after another unit was removed and turns into rommon mode. Is there anybody knows the reason/symptoms that causing this to happened?

3 Replies 3

Junaid Shah
Level 1
Level 1

There could be multiple reasons switch going into ROMON mode.

- Config register value forces the router to go to rommon mode (should be 0x2102), issue confreg command in rommon mode

- corrupt IOS image (bad checksum)

- or in some cases a physical layer problem, very rare though, DRAM issue on board, got detached from slot

Thank you for your feedback. FYI, 1 unit suddenly restart by itself and then went to rommon mode. The next day 2nd unit became similar like the 1st one. Currently we try to load new IOS in case of the existing image is corrupted. I'm afraid there is possibility the other units become like that as well. When I check into the log, I noticed there Is error message saying FRU power supply is not responding hours before the 2nd unit went down. 

Upgrading switch ios image should fix that.

CSCud01798:"FRU Power Supply is not responding" was seen unexpectedly 

Description:  "FRU Power Supply is not responding" message seen on 3560X/3750X intermittently. 

Issue may happen with one or two Power Supply Unit.

Conditions3560X/3750X is running IOS 15.0(2)SE or 15.0(1)SE.

WorkaroundThe power supply is operating normally. Upgrade to 15.0(2)SE2 or later to resolve this issue.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCud01798/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card