cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switchport settings for Non-Computer/Phone devices

DelWoodock
Level 1
Level 1

I have searched all over for any information regarding settings for switch ports for non-computer/phone ports, devices such as printer/copiers, timeclocks, security DVRs, UPSs and other devices.

Should the ports be configured the same as computers/phones or differently?

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

it should be configured as same. if you do not like voice VLAN, you can just configure only Data VLAN.

To make config all ports the same, personally, I leave the same as others.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

By default a switchport doesn't have a specified VLAN so it's on the native vlan, if the native vlan hasn't been changed that'll be vlan 1. 

Don't understand what the issue is. But, essentially the ports should be fine as access ports. What vlan you need them on is another thing for you to decide.

Ismael, no issues here just wanted to know if there were any differences for other devices, anything special.

Yeah no difference from any other host.

The only difference i could think of would be the rare case of duplex and speed but if auto negotiate is on then you should be fine unless its a 1/1000 case that just makes you want to cry. But since we are on the topic is there anything else you are curious about? Or any issues you have had before hand you got stumped on i feel like im in a helpful mood today lol

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card