cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switchport trunk native vlan 1

TRACY HARTMANN
Level 1
Level 1

I have a device that I need to trunk the port to.  Because we don't specify the native vlan as 1 or configure it at all.  I have issues when I add the trunk to the port.  All of the other subnets work fine but that native.  I thought I could get this to work using the switchport trunk native vlan 1 on the port but it doesn't show on my screen like its a default config and doesn't work. 

7 Replies 7

Hello

@TRACY HARTMANN wrote:

I have a device that I need to trunk the port to.  Because we don't specify the native vlan as 1 or configure it at all.  I have issues when I add the trunk to the port.  All of the other subnets work fine but that native.  I thought I could get this to work using the switchport trunk native vlan 1 on the port but it doesn't show on my screen like its a default config and doesn't work. 

Vlan 1 is indeed the default native vlan hence when you apply it it doesn't show up in the config of the trunk ( show int x/x switchprn
Now when you say it doesn't work can you  elaborate on what doesn't work?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

osman.elhanafy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

You don't need to configure the switch ports to be native vlan 1 as it's the default on all switch ports.
you can check by 
show interface switchport
# show interface trunk

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

AS mentioned the default native VLAN will be VLAN 1 but you are facing some issue then share the trunk port configuration from both ends.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Yes I realize that the default Vlan is 1 the issue is that I am connecting it to a non-cisco device and it is not seeing it tagged as 1.  So when I make a port a trunked port it can see ALL of the other Vlans but Vlan 1.  I was thinking if I used the Native Vlan command it would help tag it but that doesn't seem to be the case.

How about instead of using VLAN 1 using a different VLAN #. Do you still have a problem after that or does that solve your problem?

** Click (star) if you felt this was helpful.

Hi,

I want to consider your mind on two points:

1. Are you using simple trunk port or making an allowed list on trunk port?

2. Did you try with making another VLAN (test) as native on the port?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hello

@TRACY HARTMANN wrote:

Yes I realize that the default Vlan is 1 the issue is that I am connecting it to a non-cisco device and it is not seeing ittagged as 1. 

I would say it wouldn't as vlan 1 isnt tagged in the first place as its the native vlan by default, however you can tag the native if you wish by a global switch command -vlan dot1q tag native

Can you tell us what you connecting to?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card