cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet question

WIZARD1325
Level 1
Level 1

I read the definition in my Cisco book what telnet is but I learn better when its dumb down.

Is telnet basically like TeamViewer on a PC?

I did my first lab and connect my router 1 to my router 2. And it looks like I can change things on R2 remotely. I mean i am standing 1 foot away from both routers lol. But in the grand picture if I am on floor 52 and the network is on floor 3 I can just telnet using my computer rather then going downstairs and pluggin in a console cable.  Is this statement correct?

3 Replies 3

nixpengu1n
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Telnet is a "remote terminal" (or remote CLI if it is easier for you) which is used to manage network devices (in general). More information could be found here:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc854

Hi

I would like not compare Telnet with Teamviewer but they have a common purpose and it is provide management remotely. Telnet is used with a Terminal using the port TCP 23 but using CLI not GUI like Teamviewer does. 

The best practice is replace Telnet by SSH on network devices.

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

The original poster asks a direct question "I can just telnet using my computer rather then going downstairs and pluggin in a console cable ". The answer to that question is yes you can telnet from your desk and no need to go downstairs.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card