Helpful
Replies

Telnet to the switch through vlan 1

FREDERICKFUNG_2
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Guru,

I would like to ask one question as follow:

For LAN switch management point of view, we can by default use VLAN 1 to telnet to switch for switch configuration change.

Because of some reason, customer has to use VLAN 1 for other purpose, may I know if there's any other way to telnet to the switch for

configuration change?

Many thanks,

Fred

5 Replies 5

to telnet/SSH to a router you only need an IP address that is reachable from your computer, and ofcourse a username/password is created and the router is configured to accept telnet/SSH connections.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

you can use any VLAN you want for management it doesn't have to be VLAN1.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

As alain suggested u can use any L3 address of the sw for accessing the switch,but if u have only vlan 1 interface on the sw,then there is no other way.

BR,

shehin

To telnet to a cisco device you can use any reachable IP address configured on the device, as I mentioned above. You can also create a loopback interface and use that IP to telnet to the device, if your device only supports one L3 VLAN, as long as it is reachable.

Now if you are talking about network management and seperating Syslog, SNMP, NetFlow...etc. from the rest of the network then having a serpate management VLAN would be the way to go.

Also, switch from using telnet to using SSH as it is more secure for managing the device.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

flokki123
Level 3
Level 3

hi fred,

by default all ports of the switch are in vlan1 and as you have to assign an ip address for telnet you have to go to the vlan interface and enter the ip there. this then would be your management vlan, as the switch is reachable through this vlan.

if you want to use another vlan than vlan1 as management vlan, create a second vlan and assign the ip to this vlan.

then you can use vlan1 as "normal" vlan and the new vlan becomes your mgmt. vlan. this is valid for L2 switches.

for L3 switches you can assign every vlan its own ip address and therefor manage the switch through every vlan.

i know a lot of vlans in this text.

HTH,

florian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card