Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP socket error

Hello,

Im solving issue for a week now and I read a lots of forums but its still same..

Im trying to copy config from TFTP server to my Router which has switch card.

I can ping from Pc to Router and Switch aswell.

When I connect my PC directly to router on interface gig0/0/0 I can copy config from TFTP to flash: or nvram: with no problems. But when i connect my PC directly to Switch part of my device, connect to it via Putty SSH and try to copy tftp: flash: it says Socket error.

As i said..

I can ping from PC to Router and to Switch aswell.

I configured SSH.

Firewall turned off.

I used command to allow tftp access to port on switch (ip tftp source-interface).

I used command no service config as I read on lot of forums.

I spent a lot of time to configure this device and this is last step that I need to do and I cant really figure it out after week on forums and trying and trying... :( Thank you soooo much for some advice.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

siskum
Spotlight
Spotlight

Step 1: Configure Interface G0/0 or F0/0

Anything else before you have to configure the interface of G0/0 or F0/0 of router/switch that connected to PC/Laptop. Otherwise, you will get tftp://.. (socket error)

PC_Router_Network_Connection1.PNG

R-2800>en

R-2800#config t

R-2800(config)#int g0/0

R-2800(config-if)#ip address 192.168.10.4 255.255.255.0

R-2800(config-if)#no shutdown

R-2800(config-if)#exit

R-2800#

Copying a boot IOS image file to USB memory stick CLI command. ex. copy tftp flash: or usbflash0: or usbflash1 / (wise-versa) copy running-config tftp or copy flash: tftp or copy usbflash0: tftp

R-2800#copy tftp usbflash0:

The PC/Laptop IP address [192.168.10.3] where the TFTP-Server running.

Address or name of remote host [192.168.10.3]?

IOS file name located in TFTP-Server directory as a source file name

Source filename [c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin]?

Destination filename [c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin]?

If same IOS file exist in USB stick you will notify with warning message

Warning: There is a file already existing with this name

Do you want to over write? [confirm]

Accessing tftp://192.168.10.3/c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin...

Loading c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin from 192.168.10.3 (via GigabitEthernet0/0): !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[OK - 34607412 bytes]

34607412 bytes copied in 88.564 secs (390762 bytes/sec)

R-2800#

(Note: I had a same problem, I solved myself this problem. It is common mistaken we do that we missed or forget to configure of interface G0/0 with correct IP address. This might every useful to beginners..enjoy)

Sisira

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>But when i connect my PC directly to Switch part of my device...

- That's a bit unclear to me. Could you elaborate ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

My router has switch card in and I need to connect TFTP via switch so I enter on router command "hw-module session 1/0 and now Im in Switch. Then every pings are working but "copy tftp: flash:" fails on socket error.. when I do same on router via router interface gig0/0/0 everything is OK.

- I do not know if it can work through the switch card, but I would in that case at lease include the IP-destination parameters in the tftp-copy command.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Oleg Volkov
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi!

please provide us show inventory.

thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helping seriously ill children, all together. All information about this, is posted on my blog

I have my router in other city so I can send it to you on monday but thank you so much for you quick response!!

Hey!

I can finally copy config from TFTP to flash: on router but when I login to switch part via hw-module session 1/0 and try to copy tftp: flash: i says socket error again.. i used command ip tftp source-interface on every single interface which is used to comunicate between router and switch. Now its working but only on router... is it possible to copy from TFTP to router's switch card?

siskum
Spotlight
Spotlight

Step 1: Configure Interface G0/0 or F0/0

Anything else before you have to configure the interface of G0/0 or F0/0 of router/switch that connected to PC/Laptop. Otherwise, you will get tftp://.. (socket error)

PC_Router_Network_Connection1.PNG

R-2800>en

R-2800#config t

R-2800(config)#int g0/0

R-2800(config-if)#ip address 192.168.10.4 255.255.255.0

R-2800(config-if)#no shutdown

R-2800(config-if)#exit

R-2800#

Copying a boot IOS image file to USB memory stick CLI command. ex. copy tftp flash: or usbflash0: or usbflash1 / (wise-versa) copy running-config tftp or copy flash: tftp or copy usbflash0: tftp

R-2800#copy tftp usbflash0:

The PC/Laptop IP address [192.168.10.3] where the TFTP-Server running.

Address or name of remote host [192.168.10.3]?

IOS file name located in TFTP-Server directory as a source file name

Source filename [c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin]?

Destination filename [c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin]?

If same IOS file exist in USB stick you will notify with warning message

Warning: There is a file already existing with this name

Do you want to over write? [confirm]

Accessing tftp://192.168.10.3/c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin...

Loading c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin from 192.168.10.3 (via GigabitEthernet0/0): !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[OK - 34607412 bytes]

34607412 bytes copied in 88.564 secs (390762 bytes/sec)

R-2800#

(Note: I had a same problem, I solved myself this problem. It is common mistaken we do that we missed or forget to configure of interface G0/0 with correct IP address. This might every useful to beginners..enjoy)

Sisira
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card