cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The difference between FWSM on C6509 and ASA??

ohforce55
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently started to look into FWSM.

I heard that it's a module that acts ac Firewall.

There why do we have both FWSM and ASA in our data center?

Then what's the difference between FWSM and ASA?

How can I check if there is a FWSM and if it is being used on c6509 switch? 

How and when is usually FWSM used?

Thank you!

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Then what's the difference between FWSM and ASA?

They are both firewall modules but FWSM is pretty old and it is replaced with ASA module. There is also ASA appliance. Also,  these modules are only supported in the 6500 series, if you are using any other switch series, you would need to purchase the ASA firewall appliance.

see q&a:

Q. How does the ASA Services Module compare with the Firewall Services Module?

A. The Firewall Services Module is based on an older Cisco PIX ® technology-based architecture. The ASA Services Module is based on the architecture of the ASA 5585-X; in fact, it runs the same code base. And while the ASA Services Module is expected to replace the Firewall Services Module over time, the ASA Services Module is really a new form factor of the ASA 5585-X. The ASA Services Module represents a dramatic step forward, reaping the performance and feature benefits of the ASA code base and achieving five times the performance of the Firewall Services Module.
Link
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/catalyst-6500-series-7600-series-asa-services-module/qa_c67-662207.html
HTH

Thank you for your help!

But what's the case to have both 6509 with FWSM and ASA firewall in our data center?

A reason to have both? You already took the outdated FWSM out of service but lost the filler plate and don't want to operate the switch with an open slot.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card