cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The switch performs a random self-reboot.

TLJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I need help with the switch C9200L 24-port PoE+ 4x10G, firmware cat9k_lite_iosxe_17_10_01_SPA.
The switch performs a random self-reboot several time a day.
Switch doesn't work in stack.
Any idea?

16 Replies 16

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Most likely, you are encountering a bug in the OS you are running. If the switch is under a service contract, open a ticket with Cisco and they advise what version to upgrade or downgrade to.

HTH

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Attach serial console with for instance PuTTY or a tool that can save session logs, hence when the switch reboots you can have more info's on what is happening , also issue show version command and look for last reload reason , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

khorram1998
Level 1
Level 1

It is likely that there is an issue with the firmware on the switch. I would recommend checking for any available firmware updates and ensuring that the switch is running the latest version. It is also a good idea to check the system log and check for any error messages that may indicate the cause of the reboots.

Another thing to check is the temperature of the switch, make sure that it is within the normal operating range and that the switch is not overheating.

You can also try to check the "show logging" and "show tech-support" commands to see if there is any indication of what is causing the reboots.

Additionally, it is also worth checking if there are any other devices connected to the switch that may be causing the issue, such as a malfunctioning device or a device with a high power requirement that is causing the switch to reboot.

It's also worth checking if the problem persist with other switches, if not you may need to RMA the device if the problem persist after troubleshooting.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
All the best,
AK

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the following commands: 

1. sh version
  2. sh log on switch active uptime det
  3. dir flash:
  4. dir crashinfo:
  5. dir flash:/tracelogs
  6. dir flash:core

IMPORTANT:  Do not post screenshots.

TLJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm sorry for being late. I have collected all your comments and answers to them.

Most likely, you are encountering a bug in the OS you are running. If the switch is under a service contract, open a ticket with Cisco and they advise what version to upgrade or downgrade to.

A: Unfortunately, I don't have a service contract.

Attach serial console with for instance PuTTY or a tool that can save session logs, hence when the switch reboots you can have more info's on what is happening , also issue show version command and look for last reload reason.

A: Unfortunately, for 30 hours, the switch does not want to restart itself.

It is likely that there is an issue with the firmware on the switch. I would recommend checking for any available firmware updates and ensuring that the switch is running the latest version. It is also a good idea to check the system log and check for any error messages that may indicate the cause of the reboots.

A: The firmware is the latest.

Another thing to check is the temperature of the switch, make sure that it is within the normal operating range and that the switch is not overheating.

A: The temperature is normal.

You can also try to check the "show logging" and "show tech-support" commands to see if there is any indication of what is causing the reboots.

A: The results of these commands are attached.

Additionally, it is also worth checking if there are any other devices connected to the switch that may be causing the issue, such as a malfunctioning device or a device with a high power requirement that is causing the switch to reboot.

A: The switch works without connected devices.

It's also worth checking if the problem persist with other switches, if not you may need to RMA the device if the problem persist after troubleshooting.

A: I have no problems with other switches of this model.

Post the complete output to the following commands: sh version sh log on switch active uptime det dir flash: dir crashinfo: dir flash:/tracelogs dir flash:core

A: The results of these commands are attached.

>.....Unfortunately, for 30 hours, the switch does not want to restart itself.
  In that case you need to keep the console infrastructure in place with logging enabled as explained, that is if you consider the restart issue as still being important, because that is the only way to get a detailed view on what is happening , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Finally rebooted. The console showed no errors.

>...Finally rebooted. The console showed no errors.
  As Leo says use the advisory release instead : https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286320042/type/282046477/release/Bengaluru-17.6.4

M.

@TLJ wrote:
36641   drwx            32768  Jan 25 2023 07:17:32 +00:00  tracelogs
12      -rw-         24047914  Jan 24 2023 12:56:58 +00:00  RP_0-system-report_1_20230124-125654-Universal.tar.gz

Please attach these two files (crashinfo:).

At your request all files in zip.

when did the reload happen? does it sync with the below time?

ReloadReason=Critical software exception
RET_2_RCALTS=1674564972
RET_2_RTS=12:56:12 UTC Tue Jan 24 2023

I think so

>At your request all files in zip.
       - Connect to the device with : https://cway.cisco.com/cli/ , at the top right press or run 'Crashdump Analyzer' , 

M.

@TLJ wrote:
Jan 24 12:56:50 RP_0 pman[3099]: %PMAN-3-PROCHOLDDOWN: R0/0: linux_iosd-image: The process linux_iosd-image has been helddown (rc 139)
Jan 24 12:56:50 RP_0 pvp:[20608]: %PMAN-0-PROCFAILCRIT: R0/0: pvp: A critical process linux_iosd_image has failed (rc 139)
Jan 24 12:56:50 RP_0 pvp:[20659]: %PMAN-3-RELOAD_SYSTEM: R0/0: pvp: Reloading: Peer switch is not standby ready. System will be reloaded
Jan 24 12:56:50 RP_0 stack_mgr[3734]: %STACKMGR-1-RELOAD: R0/0: stack_mgr: Reloading due to reason Critical process crash

Crash was due to "linux_iosd-image" and "stack-mgr" process.

Downgrade to 17.6.4.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card