cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

To use SubInterfaces or Not to Use SubInterfaces

n_schloemer
Level 1
Level 1

I currently inherited 9 sites coast to coast, which are fairly small field offices.  Currently on the table is the implemenation of MPLS for our AVAYA phone system.  After digging in I found every location is currently sending all voice and data traffic over good ole vlan 1.  So my first goal is to create the vlan segmenation and implement some form of QoS, which I think I can get away with the auto QoS because AVAYA is enabled for IP Precedence (thats for a another discussion)... Anyway, I am currently looking at one of my Southern offices and they currently have a total of 5 Avaya handsets and probably 5-10 users depending on what day it is.  This is clearly a very simple setup and the only question I have is whether or not to use subinterfaces.  The current topology is an 1811w router going to a Catalyst 3560.  The 1811 has 10 fa interfaces in it and thats where i'm wondering whether or not to run physical interfaces and setup native vlans for the segmented traffic and run sepearte trunks or to keep it somewhat old school with the router on the stick method and run subinterfaces.  In the grand scheme of things I dont know if this adds additional ability for QoS or anything I may not but thinking of, but in idea for simplicity would be single trunk cables from switch to router and let the sub interfaces do their thing.  I'm up for suggestions.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use one subnet/vlan for voice and another one for data. Then a single link from the 3560 to 1811 with 2 sub-interfaces.

Don't use vlan 1.

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use one subnet/vlan for voice and another one for data. Then a single link from the 3560 to 1811 with 2 sub-interfaces.

Don't use vlan 1.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card