cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TopTalkers in Nexus7K Layer 2 Interface

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hello - I have nexus 7K switch connected to 3750 switch as a trunk Link. Many times the utilization of the Link between these 2 switches (Nexus 7K and 3750 switch) going High bandwidth Utilization. 

I want to know the Top Talkers with Source and Destination IP address who is consuming the Bandwidth. I tried to configure FNF but i am not able to apply that on the L2 Trunk Interface.

What is the best solution to achieve my goal? Thanks in advance

regards

Sairam

3 Replies 3

ADP_89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Mainly there are 2 ways to accomplish this. The first one is to use sampled netflow and send the netflow data to a collector, and the second(and easier) is to create a span session so you can mirror all the traffic from this link to another port were you can attach a traffic analyzer, like a server/PC with Wireshark.

For netflow you need to check if your linecard supports it and in case follow this guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus7000/sw/system-management/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_System_Management_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_System_Management_Configuration_Guide_chapter_011000....

This instead is the configuration guide for the SPAN session:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus7000/sw/system-management/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_System_Management_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_Series_NX-OS_System_Management_Configuration_Guide_chapter_010100....

HTH,

ADP

Thanks for responding. For discussion lets think about SPAN. If i do so, i can collect dump of traffic to the subjected port and open the data in wireshark. But will that show the Top Talkers and Maximum Bandwidth consumed users using Wireshark?

Hello,

Sure it can, there is a ton of features that can help you pull all the statistics that you are looking for. You can put all the data into graphs as well.

Cheers,

ADP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card