Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic shaping

Roel Reyes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Does cisco have any concentrator or a device that is used for traffic shaping or somewhat traffic Queuing or bandwidth allocation only to a specific subnet? I'm wondering what if you have a thousand clients it means you need also to create a thousand policy and shaping?

Thanks all. 

5 Replies 5

mac_mac_net83
Level 1
Level 1
Not sure if I get your question correct but I beleive you can use Cisco QoS on any platforms? You define the class to match the subnets and then apply the policy you want for that class - either traffic shaping / traffic policing, and apply it on the interface.

yes, but how about if you have thousand clients then multiple QOS will be implemented also? 

it depends on your network topology and design I think, you can group specific subnets sharing the same characteristics or behavior you want to influence and then create a single policy for it. Normally this is in the core network , where the markings are already done on the edge.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It depends both on what your shaping requirements are, and what Cisco platforms are being used.

Generally, Cisco's L3 switches do not support traffic shaping, but Cisco's routers do.

If a specific subnet uses one or a few network prefixes, on the platforms that support shaping, it's often simple to write a policy to match those networks and shape all the traffic from it. (I.e. shaping the aggregate, not shaping per client.)

Off-the-top-of-my-head, I don't know of a Cisco device that supports shaping per client. However, the 6500 does support microflow policing.

Hi

I think there is no device for that specific task. But QoS is flexible it can be configured on any layer of a model design, you could configure QoS under the interfaces facing a MPLS for example and it could minimize the configurations. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card