cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trouble setting up SVI for management on Nexus

CrackedJack1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to configure in-band management on a Nexus 93180. Never used a nexus before and I'm having a little trouble.

With any other switch, I just put an IP on the vlan, trunk the vlans I want between switches and I'm done, I can ping.

With the Nexus I can't figure it out.

I've got an IP address on one of my vlans, 202 in this case but I can't find the proper combination of other commands for VRFs and default routes to make it work. I know the trunk is ok because I plugged in a laptop and put it on a coule different vlans and it's working fine except I can't ping the IP of the Nexus when I'm in the same vlan.

Can anyone help?

8 Replies 8

Robert Falconer
Level 1
Level 1

Did you 'no shut' on the SVI?

All interfaces will be in the default vrf unless you configure them for a different vrf.

No shut doesn't do anything. Below is some parts of the config. What am I missing that's causing it not to work?

vlan 1,50,99,150,200-202,204-216,250,300-352

vlan 202
  name MGMT

vrf context management

interface Vlan1

interface Vlan202
  no shutdown
  ip address 10.12.2.28/23

interface Ethernet1/47
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 50,150,200-202,204-214,216,250,300-352

interface mgmt0
  vrf member management

inband is very diff setup than out of band no mgmt. int required , you need to add syntax .... management under the vlan interface , vrf is only required on out of band with context default route , your inband so that's not required

SUMMARY STEPS

1. configure terminal

2. feature interface-vlan

3. interface vlan number

4. no shutdown

5. management

6. ip address ip-address/length

7. (Optional) show interface vlan number

8. (Optional) copy running-config startup-config

Does it matter the order in which the commands are entered? I had those items the other day and it wasn't working.

In order to ping the IP of the nexus from a different vlan though I had to add the following:

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 Vlan202

I assume this is expected behavior as well?

I did get an error though when adding the default route. Is it anything to be concerned about?

VDC-1 %$ %IPFIB-SLOT1-2-UFIB_ROUTE_CREATE: Unicast route create failed for INS unit 0, VRF: 1, 0.0.0.0/0, flags:0x10, intf:0xfffff, Error: FIB TCAM FULL For Multicast Routes(1129381970)

I reloaded the switch and tried again with commands in a slightly different order and this time is worked (I swear it didn't work yesterday! :) )

Also put in the default route as ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.12.2.1 and this time no error.

Don't know what happened the other day but everything seems to be ok now.

Thanks for the help

You might want to investigate that error you posted earlier. It's saying that the forwarding table was full for multicast routes. That's probably not an expected behavior unless you have another VDC that's using all the resources.

There's nothing plugged into the switch at the moment other than the uplink and the config is all the default with just the vlans configured on it. When I put the route in with the IP rather than vlan I didn't get any error and as best as I can tell (show hardware capacity Forwarding | begin TCAM), there's basically nothing in there at the moment.

Did you connect your laptop to e1/47? If so, try setting the native vlan to 202 so that untagged traffic from your laptop will be placed on 202.

Or you could set up an access port on vlan 202 and test with your laptop.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card