cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk across L3 VPN

sleepyshark
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings fellow techs... I am in need of some assistance on a specific issue which may cause lot of "why would you do that" chatter...

WHAT I NEED: Each side has a Cat 4500 Chassis with  SUP2 modules in them, each site has non-overlapping VLANs and handle their own inter-vlan routing.  I need to create a L2 link/trunk between sites and have the ability to use any VLAN on any side of the VPN tunnels

WHY I NEED THIS:  For disaster recovery/continuity purposes, we are replicating our entire SAN from SITE-A to SITE-B - if a failure of ONLY one of the VM or hosts were to occur, we could not simply turn on the other side and continue running as-is because the same VLAN would be running on both sides, causing inaccessibility issues. Currently, during a failure event, we'd be forced to fail the entire site to the other site, which is extreme.

HOW DO I DO THIS: Essentially i'd like to take create a L2 accessible VPN/trunk link between Cisco 4500's so that we can use any VPN from either side if necessary. 

I need assistance on this one with some specific examples/articles to read.... I know this can be accomplished, but its nothing something i'm tasked with on a daily basis.

Thanks guys!

Sean

2 Replies 2

cflory
Level 1
Level 1

Have you considered EVN?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ios_xe/evn/configuration/guide/evn_overview_xe.html

I'm not completely sure if this applies, but it may be what you're looking to accomplish.  I don't have specific examples, unfortunately.

HTH!

-Chris

I'm not particularly sure this is suited for what I need, but it does mention VRF-lite, which is something I did run across.... has anyone deal with Psuedo-wire emulation?  Would this be a fit?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card