7 Replies 7

rnoonan01
Level 1
Level 1

Of course you can. It will be configured the same as an access port:

monitor session 1 destination int g0/24

However be aware of the following:

Destination Port

Each local SPAN session destination session must have a destination port (also called a monitoring port) that receives a copy of traffic from the source port.

The destination port has these characteristics:

It must reside on the same switch as the source port (for a local SPAN session).

It can be any Ethernet physical port.

It cannot be a source port or a reflector port.

It cannot be an EtherChannel group or a VLAN.

It can be a physical port that is assigned to an EtherChannel group, even if the EtherChannel group has been specified as a SPAN source. The port is removed from the group while it is configured as a SPAN destination port.

The port does not transmit any traffic except that required for the SPAN session.

If ingress traffic forwarding is enabled for a network security device, the destination port forwards traffic at Layer 2.

It does not participate in spanning tree while the SPAN session is active.

When it is a destination port, it does not participate in any of the Layer 2 protocols (STP, VTP, CDP, DTP, PagP, or LACP).

No address learning occurs on the destination port.

A destination port receives copies of sent and received traffic for all monitored source ports. If a destination port is oversubscribed, it could become congested. This could affect traffic forwarding on one or more of the source ports.

Well, if i did so, the trunk port will goes into "monitoring" mode and i will loose the connectivity to other switches that connects to the trunk port, 

So how i configure the trunk port as SPAN destination while i keep the connectivity to other switches through this port active?

Hi
The trunk port won't be able to transmit user traffic at the same time it is a monitor destination port.
If you want to move a SPAN session across multiple switches take a look at the RSPAN feature.

I think the OP meant that the trunk was passing other unrelated vlans other than the one they wanted to be a monitor destination.

At least that is what I was trying to do.  I trunk to my mac mini and pass different vlans to different virtual hosts.  I was trying to set up one of the vlans as a sniffer interface on the mac mini.  In the end, I just ran another wire, used the normal local span from one physical port to another and that got me where I wanted to be.

However, it really would be nice to be able to span into a monitor vlan on a trunk that contains other traffic.

Hi
I normally do the same as you do. Run another wire and monitor that one.
But I actually think the RSPAN feature will automatically send all SPAN traffic out on the RSPAN VLAN. And if your host supports passing that traffic to a specific host it should work.

As far as I remember the reason you need to configure remote-span on the VLAN is to disable the normal MAC learning, and make sure it forwards all traffic out all trunks. But I could be wrong.

one more thing i would like to add.

If the monitor session destination port is a trunk, you should also use keyword ‘encapsulation dot1q’. If you do not, packets will be sent on the interface in native format.

c3550(config)#monitor session 1 destination interface fa0/24 encapsulation dot1q

If you configure a SPAN destination as a trunk port, it will be able to capture all vlan tagged data.

"Please rate helpful posts"

So the answer seems to be "yes, you can use a trunk port as a destination."  However the answer is also, "no you cannot use a trunk port as a destination" if you actually want to use the trunked port for anything else besides monitoring.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card