cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking 2 switches to 1 router

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

So I have  4000 router I want to trunk to 2x switches. The router has a switchport module in it. I know I can't connect it to one of the normal routed ports because  the switches would be in different networks correct? The 2x switches are for the same networks and is redundancy for servers.

So I have one switch in g0/0 port with all the subinterfaces for the subnets, the other switch in one of the other ports that I configured for trunk.

I can't ping the router from the switch connected to the normal trunk port, only can ping router from switch connected to the g0/0 port with the sub-interfaces.

Is there something special I have to configure here?

If the 2nd switch will have devices in same VLANs as 1st switch, is the way I am doing it a good way or can I just connect it into another normal port let's say g0/1?

31 Replies 31

Ok so there is no way to connect both redundant routers to 1 FW right meaning the FW would need to of the same "inside" interfaces I guess right?

Also, I can get the interfonnect switch to ping the router via trunk connection, but can only get the switch to ping the FW if I put the connecting interface in switcport access vlan 10 (which is same subnet as inside interface on FW).

My concern is if all internal subnets on the LAN will be able to pass through the interconnect switch and on out to the internet.

See attached diagram.

Any help is appreciated.

Direct physical connect between the router and what?

Please take a look at my diagram and tell me what makes sense. Goal is much redundancy with the current equipment.

So there is no way to connect both redundant routers to 1 FW right meaning the FW would need to of the same "inside" interfaces I guess right?

Also, I can get the interfonnect switch to ping the router via trunk connection, but can only get the switch to ping the FW if I put the connecting interface in switcport access vlan 10 (which is same subnet as inside interface on FW).

My concern is if all internal subnets on the LAN will be able to pass through the interconnect switch and on out to the internet.

See attached diagram.

Any help is appreciated.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card