cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking and Ether Channel

Anthony Filice
Level 1
Level 1

Scenerio- I have 2 switches that are connected to a SAN (for redundancy) I have a trunk between the two Switches and standard access ports connected to the SAN's NIC. What I want to do if possible- Combine 2 of the ports on each switch using etherchannel for Switch to Switch communication and leave the access ports alone. I should mention that Access ports are vlan 300 the Trunk port has a native Vlan of 300, Am I creating a packet storm if I do this? Any suggestions?

4 Replies 4

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

I have the same setup on one of my switch I have that switch connected to the main core switch via port channel (two ports) and then I have 4 access ports channeled together and connected to the SAN.

I am curious what is leading you to believe that this might cause the packet storm?

I have my SAN switches connected to the main switch via a management vlan only. I was thinking I may need to prune out the management vlan from the trunk between the two SAN switches to keep that from causing my management vlan from flapping. does this make sense?

So you have something like this setup:

SW1 --> SAN NIC1 (Access Port)

| --> Trunk Port

SW2 --> SAN NIC2 (Access Port)

Now you want to accomplish this:

--------------------|>   SW1 --> SAN NIC1 (Access Port)

Core Switch                         || --> Port Channel (2 trunk ports)

--------------------- |>  SW2 --> SAN NIC2 (Access Port)

So you mean that creating a port channel can cause a spanning tree loop?  Do you have the priority setup on your core switch by any chance or is everything is default?  For instance on my main switch I have setup the priority for it to be the root bridge.

I have priority set up on my main switch for the management vlan - which has mulitple links, and is working well.  I guess I was concerned if adding etherchannel to trunk ports would cause any flapping by other ports not participating in that group

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card