cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Twinax cable on Catalyst 3750-24PS

ElQueue
Level 1
Level 1

Sooooo... I did some research last week and saw from multiple sources that a twinax 10G SFP+ cable would work in a 1G SFP port at 1G speeds, but the reverse was not always true. Sounded good to me, as I only have SFP ports!

So I bought a 5m Twinax transceiver cable, received it today, and plugged it into my 3750... err-disabled...

I then found an article on the Cisco site that said all I had to do was unplug it, turn off the detection with "no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid" and then turn on third party support with "service unsupported-transceiver".

It's not err-disabled anymore, but I still get that it's unsupported. I need to know if this is due to bad cable or bad information. Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It may be a cable as not all vendor's cables and SFPs always work with Cisco products.

HTH

What I have noticed is that most vendor's cables work with Nexus series but not so much with older Catalyst models. You may want to try a cable from this site. 

https://www.fs.com/

HTH 

Thanks for that. I'll try returning the cable to Amazon and get one on FS.com, which is actually one of the sites that purported that the SFP+ 10G cable would work on a SFP port anyway. My question is now, which of the 2 models is more compatible with Catalyst switches: the SFP-H10GB-CU5M or ONS-SC+10G-CU5?

I don't mind spending a couple extra dollars for better equipment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card