cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TwinGig converter on 4900m. Hw-module command will not work.

cbulleri
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to setup a CVR-X2-SFP V02 TwinGig converter module on it.

I can't execute the commands recomended on the setup guide to change the mode to Gigabite mode.

The command hw-module uplink select all fails because the uplink option is not available.

Show hw-module is not a recognized command either

The command hw-module module m port-group p select gigabitethernet errors out because the only available option after the module number is "reset"

I'm I workign with the wrong IOS?

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(53)SG5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 20-Jun-11 20:52 by prod_rel_team
Image text-base: 0x10000000, data-base: 0x1243DB4C

cisco WS-C4900M (MPC8548) processor (revision 2) with 1048576K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID JAE154502ZT
MPC8548 CPU at 1.33GHz, Cisco Catalyst 4900M
Last reset from Reload
1 Virtual Ethernet interface
20 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
8 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
511K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

When I insert the module this is diplayed on the console.

000020: 02:14:48: %C4K_GLMMAN-3-X2PLUGGABLESEEPROMREADFAILED: Failed to read seeprom on port Te1/1.

Reinsert X2 module or configure GigabitEthernet port group if TwinGigConverter is installed

New Piece of info...

When the switch boots this error is displayed if the module is inserted.

Error: INVALID MODULE HAMM IN /supervisor/uplink/x2hamm5

Any help will be greatlly apprecated  !

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

First thought you might be hitting this bug: CSCsz49331

However, the symptoms are different. It looks like this could be your problem:

Note          When using both TwinGig and X2 transceivers on the WS-X4606-X2-E module, keep them grouped with ports 1-3 in one group and ports 4-6 in another. Inserting a TwinGig or X2 transciever in any port will affect the capabilities of its partner ports, and all three will be set to handle the same type automatically. Mixing within a port group will not work. As an example, you would not be able to have an X2 in port 1 and a TwinGig in port 2 and expect both of them to function.

Found it in the release notes for 12.2(46):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/46sg/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1077275

regards,

Leo

I did read the section of the document but it's not applicable because this is the only Module on the Switch.

All other ports are empty.

In regards to the bug,

This section lists the resolved caveats in Release 12.2(50)SG3:

Workaround

: None.

Once the switch has booted successfully and has detected all installed TwinGig converters, it is

unlikely to crash unless you insert a converter. CSCsz49331

A Catalyst 4500 E-Series Switch with Supervisor Engine 6-E might crash if you insert/remove a

TwinGig converter or boot it with installed TwinGig converters.

TwinGig converters are only supported on E-series supervisors and line cards. This bug does not

affect systems without installed converters.

The switch doesn't crash and it does recognize that the TwinGig has been inserted.

Thanks for the Input

Hi,

The TwinGig converter module is supported with Cat4900M for the WS-X4908-10GE half card only, ie. not for the base X2 ports.

Please see the data sheet (table 1) at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6021/ps9310/Data_Sheet_Cat_4900M.html

Best regards,

Antonin

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

000020: 02:14:48: %C4K_GLMMAN-3-X2PLUGGABLESEEPROMREADFAILED: Failed to read seeprom on port Te1/1.

Reinsert X2 module or configure GigabitEthernet port group if TwinGigConverter is installed

The TwinGig converter is faulty.

cgonzalezlozada
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have this problem on 4503-E right now, do you have the answer?

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card