Helpful
Replies

Unable to access Cisco 2960X after the AAA new model command

Robert00509
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am facing a big problem.

By following a cisco procedure to set up the secure copy, I typed the following commands on my switch:

1. Enable
2. configure terminal
3. aaa new-model
4. aaa authentication login default group tacacs +
5. aaa authorization exec default group tacacs +
6. ip scp server enable

Now, I can no longer connect to my switch at all. In ssh, all user accounts with privileges 15 get an "access denied". I also tried in console port, but it loops on "% authentication failed".

I don't know what to do anymore, I can try to restart the switches, but I don't know if I made a write memory before.

According to several forum readings on this subject, the only way is to break the switch.

What do you think ? Have you been faced with this problem? Do you have a better solution?

Thank you in advance and good day !

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4

are those the ONLY commands you put in? I mean, and not to souncd condescending but you did define tacacs servers, correct?

also, and this is from past experience and going by memory at this point since I don't have my historical notes handy, I think you need an additional line or two:

aaa authentication enable default group tacacs enable

aaa authorization console

aaa authorization config-commands

aaa authorization commands 15 default group tacacs

and it's usually a good idea to use local as fallback so that if you get into this situation all you have to do is take the switch off the network for a few minutes and you should be able to get into it via a local account.

but at this point, yeah, I think you need to go through the password recovery procedure to get back into it and get things fixed.

View solution in original post

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Robert00509 

Query:

When you set up AAA, did you get to enter this command?

Switch(config)# tacacs-server host <tacacs server ip>

If you entered it, then you can configure a tacacs server and assign it the configured ip, add a user on the server and try.

If you did not indicate a tacacs server, then, I think the only option is to make a factory recovery.

Regards

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/security/configuration_guide/b_sec_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_sec_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_0101.html

http://notthenetwork.me/blog/2013/05/28/reset-a-cisco-2960-switch-to-factory-default-settings/

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4

are those the ONLY commands you put in? I mean, and not to souncd condescending but you did define tacacs servers, correct?

also, and this is from past experience and going by memory at this point since I don't have my historical notes handy, I think you need an additional line or two:

aaa authentication enable default group tacacs enable

aaa authorization console

aaa authorization config-commands

aaa authorization commands 15 default group tacacs

and it's usually a good idea to use local as fallback so that if you get into this situation all you have to do is take the switch off the network for a few minutes and you should be able to get into it via a local account.

but at this point, yeah, I think you need to go through the password recovery procedure to get back into it and get things fixed.

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, I don't remember typing these commands..

I think I have no choice, I'll have go through the password recovery procedure to get back into it and get things fixed.

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Robert00509 

Query:

When you set up AAA, did you get to enter this command?

Switch(config)# tacacs-server host <tacacs server ip>

If you entered it, then you can configure a tacacs server and assign it the configured ip, add a user on the server and try.

If you did not indicate a tacacs server, then, I think the only option is to make a factory recovery.

Regards

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/security/configuration_guide/b_sec_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_sec_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_0101.html

http://notthenetwork.me/blog/2013/05/28/reset-a-cisco-2960-switch-to-factory-default-settings/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card