cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to configure ip on fc ports of Nexus 7K

sunny jarwal
Level 1
Level 1

i am unable to configure ip on fc ports of n7k, doesn't it support L3 functionality.

Please help to get the same.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Sunny,

on an ethernet fiber SFP you should be able to configure L3 unless the port belong to a L2 only module.

If the port belongs to an F1, F2 or F2e module this may be the root cause as these modules are L2 only.

When you wrote FC I thought you were meaning fiber channel ports.

Again a fiber channel optics is not an ethernet optics

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sunny,

if FC = Fibre Channel you cannot configure IPv4 over it.

The fiber channel ports can use only the fiber channel protocol and are present on Nexus switches to be used to connect to SAN (Storage Area Networks) using fiber channel protocol.

So the answer is negative as far as I know. You need to use a regular ethernet 1GE or 10GE to be able to configure IPv4 over it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Guiseppe,

but the same ports are being used for L2 functionality and when i am executing the command - no switchport so i am getting error message - requested config change not allowed and at the same time there are also another SFP ports on which ethernet SFP module is connected and that ports can work as L3 functionality.

which means if use Fiber SFP module so these ports won't work as L3 functionality..???

Hello Sunny,

on an ethernet fiber SFP you should be able to configure L3 unless the port belong to a L2 only module.

If the port belongs to an F1, F2 or F2e module this may be the root cause as these modules are L2 only.

When you wrote FC I thought you were meaning fiber channel ports.

Again a fiber channel optics is not an ethernet optics

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card