Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to install IOS onto 3850

Hello,

Recently I attempted to upgrade the IOS on some 3850 that I received.  Somehow the process went wrong and started throwing

Mainboard hardware authentication failed.  Abort init ...

Right after loading the kernel.

Eventually using the emergency-install command I was able to get the 3.7.2 version on the switch, however now it throws the

Mainboard hardware authentication failed.  Abort init ...

right after the FIPS(NGWC): Flash Key Check : End, Not Found, FIPS Mode not enabled.

So far I've tried using a USB and a TFTP server to do emergency-installs, I've tried setting the BOOT=packages.conf and to the file on the flash drive, none of these things work.  XModem doesn't work either because it says Flash is read-only.  I also set the time.  I'm out of options as far as I know at this point.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks to me like a hardware issue. Anyhow plesae try the below option and if it doesnt work kindly get the RMA done.

this could be caused by a time sync issue on the switch. We can try
and manually reset this time in the boot loader and see if it clears this issue.

To do so:

1. Power off your switch. Connect to the console port of the switch. Hold the "Mode"
button and power on the switch. Continue to hold onto the button until all the amber
system LEDs turn on and remain solid. You should then see a "switch: " prompt. See the
following link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3se/system
_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_3650_cg/b_sm_3se_3650_cg_chapter_011.html#con_107

2. Write the time using the following command in switch: mode, writertc <year(0-99)>
<month(1-12)> <date(1-31) <hour(0-23)> <min(0-59) <sec(0-59)>
<dayofweek(1-7)>

For example:

switch: writertc 15 1 30 <h> <m> <s> 5

If the above procedure doest work for you then please raise the RMA for the same. 

REgards

Inayath

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It looks to me like a hardware issue. Anyhow plesae try the below option and if it doesnt work kindly get the RMA done.

this could be caused by a time sync issue on the switch. We can try
and manually reset this time in the boot loader and see if it clears this issue.

To do so:

1. Power off your switch. Connect to the console port of the switch. Hold the "Mode"
button and power on the switch. Continue to hold onto the button until all the amber
system LEDs turn on and remain solid. You should then see a "switch: " prompt. See the
following link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3se/system
_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_3650_cg/b_sm_3se_3650_cg_chapter_011.html#con_107

2. Write the time using the following command in switch: mode, writertc <year(0-99)>
<dayofweek(1-7)>

For example:

If the above procedure doest work for you then please raise the RMA for the same. 

REgards

Inayath

Dear InayathUlla Sharieff , 

I had the same problem but i tried solution 

<dayofweek(1-7)>

For example:

you provide didn't get result, don't why? need your help .

how i can raise the ram?

Thanks 

Richard Primm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good call Inayath.. Solution worked in my case. 

Thanks

Luke

Thanks Luke.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card