cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to upload new IOS file to 3850 switch

yuli7641
Level 1
Level 1

I am not able to upload a new IOS file to a 3850 switch currently on 16.6.5. 

TFTP transfer fails with: 

%Error opening tftp://10.x.x.x/cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.06.SPA.bin (Timed out)

Copying from USB fails: 

%Error reading usbflash0:/cisco/cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.06.SPA.bin (I/O error)

There is more than enough space on the flash. I tried different IOS version files with no success. Also tried different USB sticks and 2 different TFTP servers. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is TFTP block size configured for 8192? Try using TFTP block size of 1468 and try again.
If TFTP block size 1468 works then this is due to CSCvq01204.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
is the USB set to FAT format ?
can the switch ping the TFTP server ? does the same issue happen with FTP ?

Hi Mark, 

Yes, the USB is FAT32, and yes, I can ping the TFTP server.

I only have this problem on switches on version 16.6.5. I have no problem transferring the file to a switch on an older version like 3.6.8e 

Thats odd that both TFTP and the USB functions are down , im running 16.6.5 but on 9300s have not seen that issue yet , theres no ACL blocking the TFTP protocol , is it the same for FTP too ?

have you tried rebooting the switch ? is the USB even being recognized when you do a dir usb: ?
Not all USBs work so i would try a few different usbs to be sure

i dont see any caveats open relating to the issue on your release notes
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-6/release_notes/ol-16-6-3850.html#pgfId-1246127

I just tried FTP and it worked. Which gives me one working option. 

Not sure why TFTP is failing. I will upgrade to the new version and see if TFTP is still messed up. 

Thanks for your suggestion 

Thats good , i would upgrade and check the USB function is working too
TFTP could be blocked on the network at some level it is on our global net by multiple security devices

Hi,

Try defining the source interface for the TFTP.

"ip tftp source interface <interface name>"

Spooster IT Services Team

I tried command previously and it didn't make  any change for me

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is TFTP block size configured for 8192? Try using TFTP block size of 1468 and try again.
If TFTP block size 1468 works then this is due to CSCvq01204.

Yes, that worked. Thanks a lot Leo. 

This bug is reported on 16.6.6, but it looks like it is happening on 16.6.5 as well. 

@yuli7641 wrote:

This bug is reported on 16.6.6, but it looks like it is happening on 16.6.5 as well. 

Would it be possible if a TAC Case is raised? 

This would give TAC a sense of "visibility" on how many people are affected by this bug.  Make sure TAC also updates the "known affected version" to include 16.6.5.

Yes, I did have a case regarding this. I will try to get them to update the affected versions 

I found I had to remove and replace the USB 3 to 4 times on devices each time it looked like more had copied accross until it completed

I spent today more than 2h trying anything from IPS tshoot, to GPO review, to FW drops review, installing a VM into the mgmt. vlan of the network devices, playing with tftp helper, changing TFTP software and so on.

All 16.6.6 old devices are affected: 4300 ISR routers, 3650, 3850.

The newer 9300 running 16.6.6 is fine.

Raise a TAC Case, Florin.
Thanks for the update.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card