Helpful
Replies

Up/up connected, pulling MAC, Pinging then timeout forever

odaydean
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Cisco layer 3 switch.

Few days ago, I encountered a network issue where the int was up/up connected, pulling MAC, no drops, no CRC, cofigs looked very good and withing the regs. I would be able to ping the IP address every time I bounced the the port, but then it would timeout in leass than a minute.

Escalated the issue to the next level, but still want to know what was I dealing with. 

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Is it possible you have an IP conflict? Check the ARP table (show ip arp) and see if the ARP entry has the MAC address you expect. It is also possible that the host has some ICMP throttling in place that limits how many ping requests it can respond to in a certain time period.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

I dit not get this::

" I would be able to ping the IP address every time I bounced the the port, but then it would timeout in leass than a minute."

Can you elaborate this please?

Hello and thank you for your response. I meant to say, after bouncing the switchport, the ping will go through but it timesout after few pings.

Is it possible you have an IP conflict? Check the ARP table (show ip arp) and see if the ARP entry has the MAC address you expect. It is also possible that the host has some ICMP throttling in place that limits how many ping requests it can respond to in a certain time period.

Hello Elliot,
I did notice throttling issue with the port. I think that was the issue in addition to some Authentication issues as well. I will pay extra attention to the throttling issues next time this kind of ticket comes in. I appreciate your input.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card