Views
Helpful
Replies

Update IOS at boot on switches

lachlanpeters
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just wondering if there is an easer way to update 100+ 2960 switches, apart from pasting the commands in via console.

They are not connected to any network and have the default config.

They boot and look for a config.

Lachlan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I can get basis config on them via the switch looking for it ( tftp and naming the config "network-config")

Ok.  How about if I give you a NEW process.  If you have a new switch, this new process will allow your switch (based on what model, number of ports and PoE or not) download a configuration template and then download the IOS of your choice.

If this is what you want then the process is called Zero-Touch SmartInstall

Funny enough because I just go this working about a month ago and it's really very nifty. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmmm ... What do you mean "They are not connected to any network and have the default config."

If, for example, you have tons of 2960 switch in a box and you want them to upgrade the IOS when you power it up, then is is possible.

You are correct. The are just sitting a a room doing nothing.

I can get basis config on them via the switch looking for it ( tftp and naming the config "network-config")

I have not been able to find away for them to update the IOS.

Thankyou for you help

Ok.  How about if I give you a NEW process.  If you have a new switch, this new process will allow your switch (based on what model, number of ports and PoE or not) download a configuration template and then download the IOS of your choice.

If this is what you want then the process is called Zero-Touch SmartInstall

Funny enough because I just go this working about a month ago and it's really very nifty. 

Thanks for the ratings.  I've attached a "quickie" document if you are interested. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card