Views
Helpful
Replies

Update Switch IOS version at Packet Tracer 5.3

Tang-Suan Tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all :

I am using Packet Tracer to simulate Cisco networking.

As the existing IOS of the 3560 and 2960 switch are in older version which has no new feature in new IOS,  can anybody help to provide guideline or document to show how to upgarde the IOS of Cisco switch at Packet Tracer?

Many thanks!

Warmest regards,

TangSuan Tan

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Tang-Suan,

The Packet Tracer does not run IOS - it just behaves that way. It is not possible to upgrade the IOS in Packet Tracer because there is none. Packet Tracer is a network simulator that mimics the behavior of IOS and various protocols, but this simulation is not reusing the existing IOS, rather, it runs its own code that only resembles the IOS and selected protocols/features.

There is a TFTP server object available in Packet Tracer that simulates a repository of selected IOSes to be used to upgrade routers and switches. However, this is again only a simulation. You cannot truly upgrade the feature set of IOSes that is simulated by the Packet Tracer.

I am sorry to disappoint you here.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter and all :

Thanks to your reply!

I saw one U-tube introduction on how to upgrade the IOS but it is not so clear and think that some body may know the same or better way to do the upgrading.

By the way, do you have the download link of most latest version of packet tracer which may come with newer switches or same old switches but with later IOS? My current packet tracer version is ver 5.3.3.

Thanks and best regards,

Tangsuan Tan

Hello Tangsuan,

It appears that the latest Packet Tracer version is 5.3.3 - the one you are currently running.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter :

Thanks to your reply.

Actually I am to simulate the stack switch configuration wih 3560 or 2960 switch. The problem is these two types of switches in this packet tracer 5.3.3 do not have the available commad. Correct me if I am wrong.

This makes me really headache. Do you or anybody has anyway out?

Many thanks!

Warmest regards,

Tangsuan Tan

Hi,

PT is limited in features. Use a real gear if you wanna simulate this.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card